Welded HLT Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spludge

Reaction score
Plan is 5 ft tall HLT for gravity 3-tier system. The mash tun will be on separate stand and brew pot on Blichmann burner w/ leg extensions. 15 gal HLT, 25 gal mash tun, 20 gal brew pot.

Cut the legs of old burner to use for HLT:

QIc1A3E.jpg

Bought 40 feet of square steel in 10 foot sections for $110. Just used miter saw with metal blade and some clamps for the cutting:

mesayXR.jpg

Measure, clamp, cut:

kgTu8v7.jpg

Top, legs, and supports all cut and ready for welding:

TBKTeTC.jpg

Now comes the tricky part, finding a welder! Luckily, I have a few friends who do this, so I got everything welded up for a couple 18 packs of Budweiser. It was only a few welds and pre-cut, so only took an hour or so.

YXB2DE3.jpg

The propane burner just sits in there, I built the stand based on its width. This way I can swap it out in the future.

The tank is a Bayou classic 15 gallon SS pot w/ spigot and temp gauge. I added a sight glass that still needs to be calibrated.

Still need to grind down the welds and spray with some high-temp Rust-Oleum.

Still working on 6 carboy fermentor and the mash tun, hoping to post the rest of build later.

Looks goo . No need to grind the welds. Also, you can leave the dark grey mill scale on the tubing and weld through it. Unless you are tig welding, then it is a different story.

Yea I wasn't sure if I needed to take that stuff off for welding or not, thanks for the heads up. Do you know if you can paint over it with Rust-oleum or does it need to be stripped off before?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep, paint away! The black stuff is precipitated carbon from the hot forming process. It is stuck firmly to the steel. Enjoy your new brewing gear! Always fun to buy and build!

Sweet, thanks! :mug:

I agree, building this stuff is almost as fun as brewing :)

Back