Critique my MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been doing partial mashes in a sack in my brew pot, but had a bad experience trying to do a small AG batch using that method. So here’s my attempt at a MLT. I filled it with water and it drained just fine. BobbyM mentioned putting the tubes on the ends of the barbed fitting to help siphon from the bottom better and it did help. They may be too long, but the outside diameter is enough smaller than the mesh that I think it should draw from around them. The mesh I used was for a washing machine, so it’s a larger diameter than the ones made for toilets. Most of the MLT’s I’ve seen on the forum use a brass ball valve. Do you think I’ll have any problems with this bottling bucket spigot? The hole in end was already the right size for a ½” NPT pipe tap. The plastic T fitting came from McMaster Carr and cost $3.22. I had the spigot from an old bottling bucket, but they can be purchased for $3.50 from the HBS.

This is a three gallon cooler because I’ll be trying it out on a PM tomorrow. The reason the mesh is so long is that I have an old 48 quart ice chest that I plan to use in the future.

MLT1.jpg

MLT2.jpg

MLT3.jpg

MLT4.jpg

MLT5.jpg

I like it, but I'm biased because it's exactly like mine except mine's in a square cooler. One thing I did differently is that I attached the braid to some a fitting that slips over the tee. I then drilled holes through both the fitting and the tee and use presto pins to hold the braid on. This way you can easily take it on and off to clean.

I like the way you did the braided SS. Good job! I think you are going to like your MLT for partial mash brewing. It should work great and give you pretty good efficiency.

Back