Bottle Size And Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I tossed out dirty bottles because I was feeling lazy and because I've been hoarding new commercial bottles. But now I've found that I don't have enough bottles with the labels removed and have 2 five gallon batches to bottle up.

I've been saving my larger (22-24 oz) bottles for when I get around to making mead, but these will at least give me one batch ready to go, and I figure I can soak my bottled batch in Oxyclean as I usually do and peal labels later.

It seems I've seen somewhere many, many moons ago that the volume of a bottle will change the amount of sugar necessary for X amount of carbonation. How does this differ?

I batch prime and need to fill plenty of 12 and 22-24 oz bottles. If necessary I'd adjust the sugar so that neither are too extreme.

What's the scoop?

with batch priming, bottle size is irrelevant

you're mixing all your priming sugar together with the beer and putting it in the bottles. the amount of sugar needed to prime any specific amount of beer will scale up to the bigger bottle.

A larger bottle may take longer to carbonate, but the amount of priming, as GrogNerd said, to carbonate the beer remains the same.

Back