Chemipro OXI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
When i started out brewing beer i have not found any useful information about this cleaner. I've seen some posts scaring people away from the stuff but in some countries you can't buy Star-San or other well known sanitizers.
So far i have made 6 batches using only this cleaner where 3 got bottled and already consumed and 1 bottle carbed and 2 are is still in the fermenter. I had zero infection issues so far. I mean the 4 bottled beers were fine and the 2 batches in the fermenter are looking good visually. (i have not tasted them yet)

According to the label it is made of sodium carbonate and peroxy hidrate.

I dissolve 4g/l in warm/hot water. I stir it a few times and when most of the little white balls disappeared i put the bottles and other equipment into the solution. I use random contact times but it is always at least 2 minutes long. Then i let them dry for a while, i don't rinse anything. It leaves some white residue. It is probably made of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

This is my first post on the forum (in fact first post on any forum), so please be gentle.

I am based in England and I am sympathetic to the fact that some of the American products, which are mostly top notch, are simply not available or cost too much in other countries.

Like you, I use an "oxi" based product for cleaning my homebrew equipment. However, you MUST RINSE your gear after using these chemicals. Here's a link to explain why: http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/oxiclean.html

I general it's advisable to use a cleaner, rinse with hot water and then sanitize (preferably with a no rinse sanitizer). Good cleaning is the most important step and is probably why you've escaped having any infected beer, but you should try to rinse as much of the potentially toxic chemicals in the Chemipro OXI.

This is my first post on the forum (in fact first post on any forum), so please be gentle...

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new internet experience of participating.

You are absolutely right that thorough cleaning is most important, and when done correctly, sanitation is already established or easily achieved.

Sodium percarbonate is being used widely in the US and among brewers. It is a main ingredient in PBW (~70%), our workhorse cleaner, which also contains ~30% sodium metasilicate, a sodium triphosphate (TSP) substitute. I mix my own PBW substitute from those 2 components.

When the "oxi" product does its job, it breaks down into Oxygen and Sodium Carbonate, washing soda, a main component in laundry detergent (powder). And of course you will want to rinse that out. It is also very alkaline.

Using a non-rinse surface sanitizer after that is ideal. Do you have any products available that can do that?

Back