New Bottles - Calling All Dune Fans!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
The suggestion in uwjester's thread(Muad Dib Spice Ale) to use blue bottles got me thinking about using some. Last homebrew club a guy was sharing a five year old belgian strong dark he made, and was pouring from a normal burgundy style wine bottle that had been corked with a normal cork(no champagne cork) and waxed. He only said that the wax kept the beer from getting oxidized(?). I would have thought a normal botle couldn't hold the pressure. I decided to go a little lower on the carb level, style-wise that's fine. Its a Sour Cherry Old Ale that's very deep red in color. The bottles look better in person, when not in direct light they look almost black. The red wax also looks darker, less cherry. Got any good Dune themed names for it? (The small bottle is for reference -Roch 8/10 bottle)
DSC_00100001_5.JPG

Juice of Sapho

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

..or
Kwisatz Haderach

Call it 'Caladanian Wine'. I think I remember Caladan being known for its wine in the books. It sounds like it could be someplace on this planet and will just cause even more intrigue by the consumer.

I plan on making a spiced type of beer later myself and I'll try to come up with some new names for the brews.

Neomich said:
Call it 'Caladanian Wine'. I think I remember Caladan being known for its wine in the books. It sounds like it could be someplace on this planet and will just cause even more intrigue by the consumer.

I plan on making a spiced type of beer later myself and I'll try to come up with some new names for the brews.
I like that one.
Man, I need to find my copy of Dune again and reread it. It's been about 5 years since the last time...

brewt00l said:
Juice of Sapho

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

..or
Kwisatz Haderach

Merry Mentat Cherry Ale

Wasn't Harkonnen beer supposed to be pretty good? That along with red being their traditional color might lend itself to a good name. Maybe Gedi Sour or something along those lines. According to wikipedia, the Harkonnen family crest looks like
12500-250px-Liftarn_Polish_16th_Infantry_Division.jpg

which might look good on a wine bottle.

If you wanted to steer away from the Harkonnens, some of the other names for Paul (besides Kwisatz Haderach and Muad Dib) were Lisan al-Gaib and Mahdi.

They're all good names, hopefully someone will get inspiration from the one's I don't use. And yes, I want to stay away from Harkonnen names. Juice of Sapho is my favorite so far. I was contemplating, Dar-es-Balat Old Ale. The name of the no-chamber where Leto II's records where kept/found - going off the 'old' theme.

Accordong to the Dune planets wiki:
Caladan

Main article: Caladan

Caladan, later Dan, is the "third planet of Delta Pavonis"[7] and the ancestral fiefdom of House Atreides. The Atreides have lived on Caladan for twenty-six generations in the ancient Castle Caladan, and it was the home of Paul Atreides for fifteen years until the Atreides took up residence on Arrakis.[3] The farming of pundi rice, supplemented by fishing and wine making, is the primary economic activity of Caladan.[8]

It looks like that is along the right lines, if you're trying to stick to a theme. In uwjester's case I might be inclined to go along the line of something navigator themed.
Dune Planets wiki
Dune Characters wiki

Chairman Cheyco said:
Thanks, now I want to read the Dune books again... :(

:D

Can you say Hombrewtalk.com Book Club! ;) I'm re-re-re-reading it now.

BTW, the Caladanian Wine is a good idea, but its not wine. I think if it were a barlewine it would work well, but too much of a stretch to me for this one.

And in answer to O' Flannagain, it was very good. He was somewhat of an oldtimer(to me anyway) and was walking around pouring at the very end of the last meeting(my 1st). Next meeting I am definitely going to seek him out and discuss his practices to learn from him.

Weren't the sand worms called 'Shai Hu Laud' or something similar? I'm sure I'm misspelling it and not using the proper accents (no book in front of me) but that would be a cool name to incorporate into the beers name.

I just realized that you were talking about a beer, not a wine. Maybe I'll steal my own idea for my Apfelwein.

Now stop talking about this, everyone's stealing my ideas! ;)

I think something having to do with House Atreides would be pretty cool. The bottles themselves have an air of royalty, so if you think in terms with the staggering socio-economic gap in the Dune series, then drink such as this could only come from a rich house. The fremen would likely never brew anything as it would cause them to waste water, and they are super anal about their stillsuits.

So here goes.

Royale Atreidian Ale

House Atreides Ale

etc etc.

I'm a bit stumped for names, but at least you aren't brewing anything themed after Jareth the Goblin King from Labyrinth. Hot Package Ale... yuck.

Good luck on the naming!

I was thinking maybe Bene Gesserit for a Barleywine, as that's got kind of a monk type thing.

Maybe "Chapterhouse Cherry Ale"?
Chapterhouse

The green planet colonized and then made into a new Dune by the Bene Gesserit during the events of Chapterhouse Dune. The Sisterhood terraforms the surface of the planet into a desert in order to breed and begin a new life-cycle of sandworms, producers of the geriatric spice melange. Hiding from the dreaded Honored Matres, the Bene Gesserit keep the location of Chapterhouse secret and shield the planet behind a wall of no-ships, spaceships invisible to the naked eye and hidden from the power of prescience.[6]

Onescalerguy said:
Stillsuit Stout?Arrakis Amber Ale?DuncanIdaho potato beer?Face dancer draft?Sorry:eek:
Cheers:mug:

if the idea is to turn everyone else off so you can keep them to yourself, +1

:D

Wobblebottom said:
The idea of brewing anything in a stillsuit sickens me.
Didn't orfy just start a thread about this, Jemkin or something like that...

Back