The great nitrogen bubble debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As everything I know about nitro coffee I learned today I can hardly offer up myself as an expert on the subject but from what I have read today it would seem that the basic principles that make stout foam what it is would apply to coffee treated similarly.

I note from a couple of the web articles that I read this morning that CO2 is sometimes used with coffee. It is always used, of course, with Guiness - perhaps because that carbonic prick is desired with beer.

Thanks again! The carbonic bite doesn't go well with coffee (some kind of undesired bitterness/sourness). That's why people recommend 100% nitro. And even with pure nitro they're getting creaminess and the cascade effect!

I suppose one should take the existence and properties of nitro coffee (drawn, in most cases, on pure N2) into account when considering the claim (made several time is this thread) that beer drawn on pure N2 would have little or no head.

Interested readers should check out https://nitrobrew.com/. These guys make a little gadget that, while originally, I believe, designed with beer in mind, can be used to nitrogenate coffee, apple juice or anything you like.

Back