Equipment identification (or "Will this kill me?")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deprecated

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some equipment that was given to me from a foreclosed winery. It appears some of it might be photo processing stuff though.

There are 6 30-Gallon "Noritsu Portable Mixers" that each have one center port in the bottom and another port on the bottom (near the outside perimeter) with an elbow on the inside that is pointed along the circumference of the tank. Below the tank connected to these ports is a Little Giant 4-MD-SC pump.

If these were ever used for photo processing rather than wine making, is there any chance they could ever be cleaned well enough to use for brewing?

I'll try to get some pictures posted.

:confused:

I think they could absolutely be cleaned enough. Are they stainless steel? If it's aluminium it might be a bit tricky, but I would think that a fairly strong caustic cleaner could get you back to the base metal and remove all residues without an issue. Steel isn't generally regarded as "porous."

The next question is; What do you plan to do with them and are they for sale? :D

I agree. As long as they are stainless steel, they can be cleaned. Most of the chemicals used in photo processing are very easy to clean off equipment. I'd wear goggles and get some good rubber gloves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tanks were their yeast farm.

I did find enough information about cleaning them that I think I'll give it a shot.

Ironically, I did my first 10 gallon batch (electric keggle BK) last night and lost track of how many boil-overs I had. Couldn't get the PID dialed in to the correct percentage of power in manual mode. A 30 gallon kettle sounds really good about now.

I think I'll most likely use 3 of them but not sure yet what to do with the others.

Going out to get pictures now.

4 of the tanks are the same:
19" diameter x 25" height (30 gallons).
3 of them have the Little Giant 4-MD-SC pumps (800 GPH). One pump is missing.
These 4 have the 90-degree elbow at perimeter coming in through the bottom.

2 tanks are 20" x 26" (35 gallons).
These 2 tanks have some LARGE Hitachi pump underneath them but I've not pulled one out to look it up.
The return port on these two comes in from the side.

I also got some crazy looking corny kegs with extra ports and electrical sensors. One is maybe a gallon and the other is probably 3-4 gallons.

Oh, I got 2 filters as well. All of this was the leftover stuff from the person that bought the bulk of the defunct winery equipment.

Any thoughts on how to best utilize (or not) some of this would be appreciated.

photo(11).jpg

photo(12).jpg

photo(10).jpg

photo(9).jpg

photo(14).jpg

Back