SS False Bottom - Split Tubing on Sides?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmah84

Reaction score
I just picked up a new false bottom for my DIY 10 gal cooler MLT, and thought the edges were somewhat sharp. Should I put split tubing around the edges to not cause any scratches to the MLT, or should I just not worry?

I'd do whatever gave me the tightest fit.
That said, if I can get cut, I will get cut, so I'd at least hit the edges with some sandpaper to smooth them out.

You'll likely need the tubing around the edges, also, so you don't have any gaps for grain to sneak through.

Yeah, it's not a super tight fit, I picked it up from Midwest Supplies, they recommended the 11" over the 12". Is there any good posts/threads out there that go over the best way to secure the tubing? Right now, I put it around, and overlapped it, and its holding, but there is also space too. I'd hate for my first brew to get grain caught underneath.

Here's the one I picked up: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/review/product/list/id/5283/

What I did was take some spare silicone hose I had lying around and slice it down the middle, then wrapped it around the edge of the false bottom. You might need to measure the gap and pickout your hosing wall-thickness based on that, but most likely whatever tubing you have spare will work fine.

BJjrr.jpg

Some people make a ring with the hose and set the false bottom ontop of it. That way might work fine, seemed to me there'd be risk of it moving or some such.

Is that the domed one? You don't need silicone in the sides, the weight of the grain will hold it down. Scratches are not a concern preboil

i do this as well with my keggle / keggle top false bottom.. there are a few dents in the bottom of the keg, so the hose seals everything nicely (at least I beleive so).. never had any issues.

Thanks all for the replies. Phoenixs4r, my LHBS advised the same thing. Think I'll KISS it and forgo the tubing.

Back