False bottom for 62 qt bayou classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasbm

Reaction score
I scored a 62 qt stainless pot made by bayou classic. Im interested in making it into a mash tun. The inner diameter of the pot is roughly 15.5". I'm wondering what is the diameter of the Blichmann 15 and/or 20 gallon false bottom. I'm hoping that one of these will be close enough to the diameter so I can Jerry rig it to work. I haven't had any luck finding the measurements on any site. Thanks for your help.

Not to bring this off topic, but if the Blich. FB doesn't end up working this is the option I use with my 62 qt. Bayou. Happens to be on special now also.

I scored a 62 qt stainless pot made by bayou classic. Im interested in making it into a mash tun. The inner diameter of the pot is roughly 15.5"

Hi Luke,

I know this is a really old post that you wrote, but I'm curious what your final fix was.

I had another false bottom collapse on my 64qt 16g Bayou Classic kettle, model 1064.

The modification that had been working for awhile was to make a custom drain tube that also acted like a "jack stand" for the center of the screen. That was until yesterday when I must have been recirculating too quickly without using rice hulls and the whole bottom just warped and caved in.

Before I buy yet another false bottom, where you ever able to come up with a permanent solution by either modifying the standard screen or by purchasing a custom made screen for this kettle?

The picture shows the false bottom that the kettle came with, and it fits on that ridge / rim at the bottom of the kettle.

Cheers

bayou-classic-800-916.jpg

Hi Luke,

I know this is a really old post that you wrote, but I'm curious what your final fix was.

I had another false bottom collapse on my 64qt 16g Bayou Classic kettle, model 1064.

The modification that had been working for awhile was to make a custom drain tube that also acted like a "jack stand" for the center of the screen. That was until yesterday when I must have been recirculating too quickly without using rice hulls and the whole bottom just warped and caved in.

Before I buy yet another false bottom, where you ever able to come up with a permanent solution by either modifying the standard screen or by purchasing a custom made screen for this kettle?

The picture shows the false bottom that the kettle came with, and it fits on that ridge / rim at the bottom of the kettle.

Cheers

Thats the older style... Bayou classic has made tham a little stronger now.

I have a couple of the same kettles.... the false bottoms are less than $50 shipped from a store on ebay... thats where I got mine. The one I bought on ebay for my mashtun has a pattern stamped into the false bottom to make it more rigid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bayou-Class...210310?hash=item2ec138a406:g:RjEAAOSwDN1UNTtb the picture shows the old style but mine was the new one when I got it.
the ridge at the base makes other 15" false bottoms not fit correctly. I regularly do 11 gallon brews with this in my mash tun and not so much as the slightest sag in my false bottom in over a year now.

What is the cost of the Blichmann? I think they're around 100, right? For that price, go to Nor Cal Brewing and get a custom @jaybird false bottom? As soon as I get my rear in gear, I'll measure my Bayou Classic and get the same from him.

Thats the older style... Bayou classic has made tham a little stronger now. The one I bought on ebay for my mashtun has a pattern stamped into the false bottom to make it more rigid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bayou-Class...210310?hash=item2ec138a406:g:RjEAAOSwDN1UNTtb the picture shows the old style but mine was the new one when I got it.

Thanks for the update Luke.

I just emailed the manufacturer of the kettle and the seller of the false bottom on EBay to find out more about that new pattern that is stamped into the perforated sheet metal to make it more rigid. That makes a lot of sense.

And yes . . . that ridge that is built into the kettle that forms a ledge for the false bottom to sit on does limit our options.

Cheers

What is the cost of the Blichmann? I think they're around 100, right? For that price, go to Nor Cal Brewing and get a custom @jaybird false bottom? As soon as I get my rear in gear, I'll measure my Bayou Classic and get the same from him.

Hi Hello,

I would love to go with the Blichmann, but the problem with our kettles is the walls are not smooth down the entire side to the bottom. There is that built in ledge for the false bottom to sit on.

If I were to go with the Blichmann on my kettle, the diameter would have to be exactly 15 3/8" diameter, and would need some sort of support system approx 3.25" high in order to support it on that built in ledge / rim.

The whole problem is very frustrating.

I'm going to look into the "new and improved" false bottom design from the manufacturer (even though all of the pictures on the web look exactly like the 2 false bottoms that have collapsed on me) and I'm also going to look into the custom one from NORCAL. A little pricey but might be worth it.

Either way I will post my results.

Thanks for your feedback !

Cheers

Hi Hello,

I would love to go with the Blichmann, but the problem with our kettles is the walls are not smooth down the entire side to the bottom. There is that built in ledge for the false bottom to sit on.

If I were to go with the Blichmann on my kettle, the diameter would have to be exactly 15 3/8" diameter, and would need some sort of support system approx 3.25" high in order to support it on that built in ledge / rim.

The whole problem is very frustrating.

I'm going to look into the "new and improved" false bottom design from the manufacturer (even though all of the pictures on the web look exactly like the 2 false bottoms that have collapsed on me) and I'm also going to look into the custom one from NORCAL. A little pricey but might be worth it.

Either way I will post my results.

Thanks for your feedback !

Cheers
I was saying NOT to go with Blichman. Go with Nor Cal Brewing. @jaybird will build it for you. Measure your kettle and he'll handle the rest. I am ordering mine Friday for my new MT.

I was saying NOT to go with Blichman. Go with Nor Cal Brewing. @jaybird will build it for you. Measure your kettle and he'll handle the rest. I am ordering mine Friday for my new MT.

Got it Hello . . . Sorry I didn't read your reply correctly.

Please keep us posted how your brew day goes with the NORCAL !

Cheers

Thanks for all the support guys and gals :) So glad you all are happy with your purchases. I sure do love building them for you, that's for sure!

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the update Luke.

I just emailed the manufacturer of the kettle and the seller of the false bottom on EBay to find out more about that new pattern that is stamped into the perforated sheet metal to make it more rigid. That makes a lot of sense.

And yes . . . that ridge that is built into the kettle that forms a ledge for the false bottom to sit on does limit our options.

Cheers

I can take pictures too if you dont get anywhere with the seller... just let me know.

Back