Racking My First Home Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
So I'm just fixin to rack my first try. It's been in the primary for 4 days, and the SG went from 1.045 to 1.016. It looks like beer, and it smells like beer, so I guess it's gonna be beer...unless I drop the carboy. The taste though is very bitter (I was going for an Amber Ale). I'm sure it's going to mellow out after another month or so, but is it normal to be more bitter at this point than it will end up? :confused:

Depending on what you mean by bitter, yes, it probably will mellow out some, as the yeast falls out, and things finish off and balance out flavour wise. As long as the stuff didn't taste funny, (fishy, or fruity etc) then you'll probably come out fine. I guess that's kind of the adventure in homebrewing... what is it going to be like after the long wait???

Sasquatch said:
Depending on what you mean by bitter, yes, it probably will mellow out some, as the yeast falls out, and things finish off and balance out flavour wise. As long as the stuff didn't taste funny, (fishy, or fruity etc) then you'll probably come out fine. I guess that's kind of the adventure in homebrewing... what is it going to be like after the long wait???

No, it didn't taste fruity at all, and it definately didn't taste fishy. It just tasted really, really bitter...like the stuff that bitter beer face guy must have been drinking.

Well, all you can really do is keep going and see what happens, I suppose...

Brewhead, I should certainly think that "fishy" would qualify as an "off" flavor, no? :)

Sasquatch said:
Well, all you can really do is keep going and see what happens, I suppose...

Brewhead, I should certainly think that "fishy" would qualify as an "off" flavor, no? :)

Yep, it's in the secondary for a bit, so we'll just see what happens. I guess if it stays as bitter I'll forget it was an Amber Ale and say I was going for an ESB :D

El Pistolero said:
Yep, it's in the secondary for a bit, so we'll just see what happens. I guess if it stays as bitter I'll forget it was an Amber Ale and say I was going for an ESB :D

Must be normal, cause I just racked my first brew to the secondary yesterday, (need to update signature) and it had the same bitter taste. No off flavors here either, no banana taste either......

I think I just have to be more patient! A buddy who is an experienced home brewer says it's totally normal to be bitter at this point, and it will mellow out considerably in the next couple of weeks.

-Badfish

I think the bitterness will mellow out. I had a brew bottled for a week, and it was too bitter, but after another week, it was good. Patience is key.

Back