Could someone explain partial mash or all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pariah

Reaction score
Hi, I have done five or six batches of beer. Each one was extract based with steeped grains. I would like to do partial mashes or all grain...but don't know where to start.

One thing that might be stopping me is pot size...I have a 22 quart stainless steel pot, and a 20 quart "stainless steel" pot of *very* dubious quality. Is it possible to do a full or partial mash with this equipment?

I would like a very brief overview of the process for partial mash or all grain...I know it's probably beating a dead horse, but all of the articles I've seen are very long, and I would like it summed up in a few simple steps so that I can more easily read the long articles/instructions.

I hope I was clear, I just finished a big bottle of Chimay Blanche. :cross:

Hello,

I am also going all grain...You'll find several differing styles/techniques that people swear by. # 1 nicely laid out.. simple, with tons of pics -that made me first think "hey, I a do that". #2 is considered a (The) valuable source...from extract, to partial mash to all grain.

1) http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php
2) http://www.howtobrew.com/

Cheers.

The big difference between steeping and mini-mashes is the addition of enough 2-row to convert the starches in the specialty grains. Typically, pound for pound. You might consider buying a mini-mash kit from austinhomebrew, you'll get 4-5 pounds of grain and a bucket of extract. Their mini-mashs use 2 1/2 gallons of water for the mash, so it will fit in your pot.

Really the only difference is the addition of 2-row, you don't need any extra equipment.

Please take a look at this post. It is long but I came up with the idea of buying a 3 gallon cooler and doing partial mashes in it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805
The one I built is described on page 5:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8805&page=5
and here is a thread on the brew I did with mine:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10214
All you will need to do this process is the 3 gallon cooler, some braided stainless steel tubing, some vinyl and hard plastic tubing (You can get at your LHBS or mail order), a drilled stopper, and a valve. Total cost should be $25.00 or so.
You already have everything else.
You will mash and sparge the grains just like an AG brew but once you have your wort in the pot, you add malt extract and proceed just like an extract brew.
Advantages of doing this mini mash:
Money savings- you can add 3 or 4 pounds of 2 row malt and eliminate about 3 pounds of dried malt extract.
Versatility- You can mash grains like Munich and Vienna to add character to your beers. These grains require conversion and steeping them in a grain bag won't suffice.
Education- You will learn the all grain process on a smaller scale that will be less stressful.
Less Equipment You don't have to invest in a large brew pot. The ones you have now will work great. You don't need a propane burner to boil 7 plus gallons of wort and you won't need a wort chiller. This all equates to less money spent and you have less equipment to store. The only new equipment you will have is the 3 gallon cooler.
Greater efficiency compaired to using a big steeping bag You are actually using a mash/lauter tun so your sparges will be more efficient and you will be able to recirculate the wort to get clear runnings.
Time It takes much longer to do an AG batch. If you don't have 6 hours to devote to a brewing session this is a great option. This mini mash probably adds 1 or 1 1/2 hours to an extract session. The only extra clean-up is the cooler which is easily rinsed out with hot water after the grain has been removed.

One other thing...

Do you feel that it's worth it? Does doing a partial or full mash allow for flavor complexity and brew quality that simply can't be achieved using extract recipes?

Each of my extract recipes has come out a little bland...good, but lacking the rich flavors and aromas that some of my favorite commercial microbrews have. Will partial mashes make better beer?

pariah said:
One other thing...

Do you feel that it's worth it? Does doing a partial or full mash allow for flavor complexity and brew quality that simply can't be achieved using extract recipes?

Each of my extract recipes has come out a little bland...good, but lacking the rich flavors and aromas that some of my favorite commercial microbrews have. Will partial mashes make better beer?
To me it has been well worth it. I like having the control over the beer and to influence it's flavor. It's a very personal question that you will have to figure out for yourself. If you want to be more creative and have more to say about your home brew then you should look at PM or AG brewing. There are many folks who do nothing but extract brewing and make great beers. They are satified with their process and their beers. It's all about what makes you happy. It is a hobby right? :mug:

Back