Transfer Hose Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I'm in need of some hose for brewing transfer, and have both brass QD's and 1 1/2" tri-clamps to use for connectors-silicone hose appears to be the chit to use...

Is McMaster-Carr the best(cheapest) place to get 1/2" silicone hose?

I have the thermoplastic rubber tubing from Northern Brewer (Item #2 on the page). The only disadvantage of this tubing would be the fact that it is not clear. Do not know how it compares to McMaster's prices.

Yours looks to be 1.40 a ft. and appears to be quite suited for this-is silicone worth the price 'jump'?

Silicon I am referring to is $7.30 a ft., which brings a very cold feeling.
Mcmaster Carr-page 233. Can't link...

If I bought this, would I have buyers' remorse or thank myself every time I use it? And $7.30 a ft for 1/2"hose-really?

Yuri, what's the wall thickness on the austin stuff? That's a good price. I was just about to pull the trigger on Mcmaster's:

51135K43
(Same as 5236K47)
High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing Soft, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall, White
Quantity Per Ft.
1-99 Ft. $3.17

I got mine from More Beer last year. This is it. I think it was less than $2.10 a foot when I got it, but that's the price now, same as Austin Homebrew. The stuff from More Beer is definitely 1/8th inch wall. It is 1/2 inch ID, 3/4 inch OD.

$3.17ft beats $7.30, and $2.10 beats that.

Also noting that the high temp limit is 500°F, as opposed to 350° or 392°.

CK, the TC fittings are measured across the flange of the fitting, as a nominal size. I have a couple Swagelock SS 3-piece valves that have a 1" thru bore, though. I bought a bunch of 1 1/2" clamps cheap, but don't yet have the flange pieces, and I have enough QD's and males to make four hoses, and outfit three keggles. I got used to using TC's at MBC, and am not sure what I want to use myself at home, yet.

Technically, the TC fittings are measured across the OD of the pipe, not the ferrule. 1" and 1.5" TCs both use the same size ferrule, but the OD of the pipe is 1" and 1.5" respectively. I still think that 1" piping may be a skosh big for 5-15 gallon applications, but with good ball valve control, you should be fine.

Edit: All that being said, having TC fittings on a homebrew setup is pretty damn cool. I probably would go with SS QDs myself if I were to go fancy at home, but damn TCs just look good.

I like overkill plenty but I find TCs to be a little too slow to call a "quick" disconnect. I really like the brass coolant QD's from mcmaster because they're a one hand deal to connect or disconnect.

Definitely not faster than QDs, but once you get good at them, they aren't horribly slow, unless they are in really awkward places. Hooking up cold hoses to certain CIP arms can be tricky as hell with kegs in the way and such.

I got mine from More Beer last year. This is it. I think it was less than $2.10 a foot when I got it, but that's the price now, same as Austin Homebrew. The stuff from More Beer is definitely 1/8th inch wall. It is 1/2 inch ID, 3/4 inch OD.

Same exact hose as B3.

Forrest

Back