Protein rest for pumpkin and pecans...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
So I am going to be making a Maple Pecan Pumpkin beer in the next day or so and am planning on doing a protein rest for the pumpkin and pecans.

My question:

since the other the grains are all fully modified and do not require a protein rest, do I leave them out and just do the rest with the pumpkin and pecans or add everything in at that rest and not worry about it??

Thanks in advance!:mug:

I'm not sure you are understanding a protein rest correctly. The point is to let the enzymes from the malt go to work at temps that favor the ones that break apart protein. Without enzymes, you don't have a protein rest. You just have warm pumpkin water.

Anyway, pumpkin has very little protein. You can do a protein rest if you want, but you certainly don't have to.

The most important thing is to buy a ton of rice hulls. If not, you'll just end up with a sticky mash that won't sparge.

I'm not sure you are understanding a protein rest correctly. The point is to let the enzymes from the malt go to work at temps that favor the ones that break apart protein. Without enzymes, you don't have a protein rest. You just have warm pumpkin water.

Anyway, pumpkin has very little protein. You can do a protein rest if you want, but you certainly don't have to.

The most important thing is to buy a ton of rice hulls. If not, you'll just end up with a sticky mash that won't sparge.

Yeah... I guess now that you say it, that makes total sense lol drrrrrrr. Now I feel like an idiot. Lol

Got the rice hulls already. Thanks a ton for the answer! 🍻

Back