Head retention and carbonation technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESPY

Reaction score
So a couple months ago I brewed a stout. I don't have a nitrogen tank so when it came time to keg I decided to use CO2. Until now, every time I've kegged, I've done it the "fast" way of setting to 30psi, shaking and waiting overnight. This time I decided to carbonate the "slow" way by connecting at carb pressure and letting it sit for 3-4 days. Since it was a stout and I didn't want a high carb I started at about 4psi. Came back a few days later and tried it and it was almost flat. So I progressively turned up the pressure each day until I finally reached about 10 psi. It finally reached a pretty good level of carb, but still had basically no head retention. At the time I just dismissed it as a result of using CO2 with a stout.

Since then, I've added dual keg capability to my tank and kegged another batch - a California lager. I also did this one the "slow" way, leaving it at the same 10 psi that I had the stout at. After about 5 days at 10 psi I tried it and it too seemed to have a pretty good level of carbonation but poor head retention. The recipe is identical to one I've done before and last time it had a great head.

So this leads me to question can poor head retention result from the technique I use to carbonate my kegs?

I can't think of any reason why carbonation technique would change the head retention. Total head, yes.

The way I understand it, the set and forget method of carbing takes almost as long to develop a good head as bottle condtioning.

Are you getting your beer glasses nice and clean? If you use the dishwasher to slean them, the Jet Dry rinse/drying agent will affect head retention. I sit mine in a sink of PBW for 20 min, then rinse well with hot water.

I've been using this method for about a year now and it seems to work pretty well. I start out at between 20-30 psi depending on the level of carbonation I'm trying to achieve. I don't go crazy with the shaking, but I do tip the keg from side to side when I first set the regulator to 20-30 psi until it stops "creaking". Usually not more than two minutes of total shaking and then it sits overnight. The next day, I set the regulator to serving pressure and let it stand for a week.

The carbonation level and head retention are superb this way. I agree that the method of carbonation shouldn't be a factor in head retention, but you might want to give this method a shot.

:mug:

I am new to kegging only 2 kegs under my belt and have used the set it and forget it, and both batches were perfect. 10 psi for 5-7 days and it was perfect. The second batch I had a glass after 3 days and it was very drinkable, not flat at all. I don't think the head retention has anything to do with the way you carbonate, setting the psi higher and shaking it just gets it there faster, I always have beer so I'm in no big rush, I like the idea of putting it under pressure and leaving it at 10 psi for carbonating and serving, just my 2 cents.

ESPY said:
So a couple months ago I brewed a stout. I don't have a nitrogen tank so when it came time to keg I decided to use CO2. Until now, every time I've kegged, I've done it the "fast" way of setting to 30psi, shaking and waiting overnight. This time I decided to carbonate the "slow" way by connecting at carb pressure and letting it sit for 3-4 days. Since it was a stout and I didn't want a high carb I started at about 4psi. Came back a few days later and tried it and it was almost flat. So I progressively turned up the pressure each day until I finally reached about 10 psi. It finally reached a pretty good level of carb, but still had basically no head retention. At the time I just dismissed it as a result of using CO2 with a stout.

Since then, I've added dual keg capability to my tank and kegged another batch - a California lager. I also did this one the "slow" way, leaving it at the same 10 psi that I had the stout at. After about 5 days at 10 psi I tried it and it too seemed to have a pretty good level of carbonation but poor head retention. The recipe is identical to one I've done before and last time it had a great head.

So this leads me to question can poor head retention result from the technique I use to carbonate my kegs?
Personally I don't understand the fascination with have a head of foam on beer. It just gets in the way as far as I'm concerned - I pour off my taps carefully to avoid a huge head of beer. Foam = wasted space for more beer as far as I'm concerned.

To each their own, though.

Back