Should've known better...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I asked my friend whether he could snag me an O2 bottle from work. He works with a lot of medical supplies. I wasn't asking for a freebie or anything, I would've paid something, I just wanted a nice O2 tank for cheap. I told him I wanted the smallest one he had. Refillable.

So what'd I get?

The thing is 4 feet tall and holds 2000 psi....

yikes!

So uhhh.. how long do you guys think it will last?

If it's 4 feet, I'd guess that it's an M cylinder, as they're close to 40". If you're using it for oxygen to aerate your wort prior to pitching yeast, I'm guessing at ~1-2 min of aeration per batch, itshould last a LONG time. With a max fill of 3450 liters, here's how it breaks down:

The bernzomatic OXY cylinder is 1.4 ounces, and there's 0.041402941388 liters per ounce. So...24.15 ounces per liter. And that's 83,327.41 ounces of Oxygen. If the bernzomatic 1.4 oz cylinder off MoreBeer lasts for approximately 10-15 batches(Let's assume 15), then that big arse tank should last you for 5,555 5-gal batches of beer. At the TX state max of 100gal/person/year/household, if you brewed 200gal/yr (you and spouse/roomate), then it should last 27 years. your liver will give out before you run out of oxygen.

Jester4176 said:
If it's 4 feet, I'd guess that it's an M cylinder, as they're close to 40". If you're using it for oxygen to aerate your wort prior to pitching yeast, I'm guessing at ~1-2 min of aeration per batch, itshould last a LONG time. With a max fill of 3450 liters, here's how it breaks down:

The bernzomatic OXY cylinder is 1.4 ounces, and there's 0.041402941388 liters per ounce. So...24.15 ounces per liter. And that's 83,327.41 ounces of Oxygen. If the bernzomatic 1.4 oz cylinder off MoreBeer lasts for approximately 10-15 batches(Let's assume 15), then that big arse tank should last you for 5,555 5-gal batches of beer. At the TX state max of 100gal/person/year/household, if you brewed 200gal/yr (you and spouse/roomate), then it should last 27 years. your liver will give out before you run out of oxygen.

Party at my place!!! :rockin:

It doesn't only have to be used for wort aeration....oxygen bongs are great for hangovers.

fifelee said:
It doesn't only have to be used for wort aeration....oxygen bongs are great for hangovers.

Great idea! A bit more tubing and I can have my own little oxygen bar alongside the beer fridge! :ban:

Let's try that math again.
Bernzomatic = 1.4 oz. of O2 = 40 grams = 1.25 moles O2 (40 g/32g/mole of O2) = 28 liters of O2 at STP (1 mole of a gas is 22.4 liters at STP - standard temp & pressure)

M cylinder = 3450 liters at STP = 123 times more O2 than Bernzo cyl, so assuming 15 oxygenated batches per bernzo cyl you'd get 1850 batches from the M size cylinder, not 5555.

Bottom line: you'd still trash your liver first, but it would be a closer race.

olllllo said:
In college, we had acess to O2 tanks and we used it regularly to "cure" a hangover.
Get yourself a mask. Just a thought.
No ****, that really works? How long of a session do you need?

Back