What are racking canes made up of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My racking cane broke, so I was looking to make one myself, however I could not find any information on the material that it is made up of? I saw rigid transparent PVC tubes, plexiglass ones and policarbonate ones. Are racking canes made up from one of these three? Or is it something else?

Any help is appreciated thanks!

kojinakata said:
Hi everyone, My racking cane broke, so I was looking to make one myself, however I could not find any information on the material that it is made up of? I saw rigid transparent PVC tubes, plexiglass ones and policarbonate ones. Are racking canes made up from one of these three? Or is it something else? Any help is appreciated thanks!
But your self an auto-siphon w/ a good length of flexible tubing. It'll save you time and make racking much simpler! Worth every Penny.

govner1 said:
But your self an auto-siphon w/ a good length of flexible tubing. It'll save you time and make racking much simpler! Worth every Penny.

I have a friend that had one of them, we used it to transfer a batch to secondary. That thing, brand new, would not keep the vacuum going and we wound up just using the hose.

See if you can get ahold of a Jesus hose.

THEUKRAINIAN said:
I have a friend that had one of them, we used it to transfer a batch to secondary. That thing, brand new, would not keep the vacuum going and we wound up just using the hose. See if you can get ahold of a Jesus hose.

Well I call them a Jesus hose. But they are super siphons.

http://www.superjiggler.com

Well I call them a Jesus hose. But they are super siphons.

http://www.superjiggler.com

Is that just a check valve on the end of a hose, or is there more to it? Because if that's all it is, I'd rather get a STAINLESS check valve, on a SILICONE hose. Then the only plastic equipment I'd still have would be a bottle filler (and I'd like to convert that to stainless, silicone, and/or glass too, for optimal sanitization.)

emjay said:
Is that just a check valve on the end of a hose, or is there more to it? Because if that's all it is, I'd rather get a STAINLESS check valve, on a SILICONE hose. Then the only plastic equipment I'd still have would be a bottle filler (and I'd like to convert that to stainless, silicone, and/or glass too, for optimal sanitization.)

Dunno, I'm thinking they are some one way valve of a certain type. A check valve may work.

Back