Paint for a Chest Freezer/ Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewskiBroski

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know good paint to use on a chest freezer? i will be converting it to a Keg-orator and it will be in my house, I would like it to look half decent. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Rustoleum makes an appliance spray paint that is supposed to be really good. I'm going with the chalkboard paint though. I liked the look of it on other keezers so figured I would go with it too.

I painted mine with the chalkboard paint as well, it looks really good.

Did you use the Valspar?
Did you roll it on?
How many coats?
Did you prime or sand first?
Was your fridge new or old?

Just trying to get a handle on it as I'm prepping it tonight and painting in the morning. The paint can is sitting next to me on my desk right now. :)

Did you use the Valspar?
Did you roll it on?
How many coats?
Did you prime or sand first?
Was your fridge new or old?

Just trying to get a handle on it as I'm prepping it tonight and painting in the morning. The paint can is sitting next to me on my desk right now. :)

I will check the brand tomorrow.
2 coats
sand no prime
old not any rust

Pics can come after tomorrow. I have a perlick tower and drip tray on the way. Was a sweet ebay find.

Yeah I'm working on a new fridge so just roughed it up, trimmed out where I wanted to paint and threw on a first coat with what was supposed to be a fine roller... yeah right. Going to grab a sponge tomorrow then do some light sanding before putting down a second coat. Overall it looks good but it needs touching up.

chalkboard.JPG

That'll be the last of the painting and the collar is already stained and sealed. All that is left is insulation and plumbing, woho.

Here's my chalkboard paint keezer and ferm chamber. I'm working on a third for a second ferm chamber, but just have to score a craigslist freezer first. I've built three collars now. Also painted my brewery stand with it too. Haven't even finished installing the faucets, etc.

One thing is it's not very resilient paint and is prone to scratching off (as you can see). I highly recommend getting a black spray primer (since I couldn't find any black brush on primer). That's how I did collars 2 and 3. At least then if you get a scratch you will have black coming thru instead of another color. The primers are so much more durable and stay on.

I really think the spray chalkboard paint looks better on top vs the brush on. I've tried both now. Gives a sleeker finish.

Also, I sealed the inside of the collar with the clear stuff before screwing on (you can see the big washers) the pieces of rigid foam. I figure this was a better plan than glueing cause they may likely get grimey eventually and need replacing.

I like the look of this paint regardless of if you put any chalk on it- it's more of a slate black. But the directions are to rub the paint with chalk when it's done- haven't done that yet. I didn't sand the wood much before I spray painted it so the chalk would go in the wood crevices and look cool (maybe-we'll see).

SDIM1720.jpg

I used Rust-oleum appliance epoxy (its a spray paint). Bought it at Home Depot
Two light coats, no sanding or other prep other then wiping it down
4977841075_7f9af13649_b.jpg

Is that a 10 gallon challenger iv keg? If so where did you get fittings. I have three of them I use for wine fermentation but I would love to be able to keg with them.

The second coat turned out pretty good... sponge is definitely the way to go. I need to break out a razor and clean up around some of the trim once it has setup but other than that it's going to look sharp once I get the collar on and everything plumbed.

ChalkboardFront.JPG

ChalkboardSide.JPG

Rustoleum Flat Black.... Start out with thin coats and lay it on coat after coat giving dry time. I still plan to get a custom wrap but this works for now. Excuse the crappy pic and undecorated room. Almost had to knock out a wall to get it in there yesterday. Stood it on it's side and slid it on blankets to get it through the hall and into the bedroom (read brew room) :D

ba9e30a1.jpg

Is that a challenger iv 10 gal keg in there? I have some and I can't find/don't know which fittings I need. Where did you find yours?

I bought mine from Sharpsville Container in PA. IMO that's where everyone like ChiCompany and others gets them from that sells them new and refurbished. They are roughly the same price there as the one I bought cause those folks buy a big lot as opposed to one unit.

It's a 15 gal. With the 4 cornies, that's 35 gallons of beer in a 7.2 cu chest freezer. Had to do a 1 X 10 for the collar to fit.

The fittings are firestone/challenger threading and not cornelius/spartan threading. What other fittings do you need?

I don't want to start a new thread so i'll post here. I have a new 7.1 Igloo white freezer. To apply "Appliance spray paint" is there a need to sand the brand new freezer before applying the paint?

I don't want to start a new thread so i'll post here. I have a new 7.1 Igloo white freezer. To apply "Appliance spray paint" is there a need to sand the brand new freezer before applying the paint?

I would only sand down if you had flaking or chipping of the original paint. If you are just painting a different color I wouldn't worry about it.

While sanding isn't required, most pro painters would advise cleaning the surface. Several products exist for this purpose, examples below:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Easy-Liquid-Sander-QWN285/100112667#product_description

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/prep-all-professional-grade-13.5-oz.-esw362/99987656-P

The concept is that any slight film of grease, wax, dust or dirt will keep the new paint from properly adhering...

Back