my cyclone clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam_cotter

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I collected the supplies need to build a 5 row tube style chiller. I finished it today. Pictures are below. To make the soldering process easy I made some saddle clamps to hold the whole this together. I don't think I spent more than 20 minutes with the torch. I have not had a chance to try it but I think it can be capable of single pass chilling? I plan to whirlpool so I know it will be very effective for that. I have not installed the silicone tubing yet but I ran water through it and had not leaks. All told I have about $100 into it with all new supplies. I found the T fittings for $1.45 each online. The tubing is 3/4 over 1/2. I used a 5/8 reamer to open up the T's worked pissa.
chillerpic1.jpg chillerpic2.jpg fittingreaming.jpg

Over the last couple of weeks I collected the supplies need to build a 5 row tube style chiller. I finished it today. Pictures are below. To make the soldering process easy I made some saddle clamps to hold the whole this together. I don't think I spent more than 20 minutes with the torch. I have not had a chance to try it but I think it can be capable of single pass chilling? I plan to whirlpool so I know it will be very effective for that. I have not installed the silicone tubing yet but I ran water through it and had not leaks. All told I have about $100 into it with all new supplies. I found the T fittings for $1.45 each online. The tubing is 3/4 over 1/2. I used a 5/8 reamer to open up the T's worked pissa.
View attachment 574390 View attachment 574391 View attachment 574394
I made the same thing, but with 4 rows. It's 6 inches by 26 inches. Just used it for the first time a week ago and was able to get single pass cooling directly into the fermenter. I have cold Minnesota ground water though.
My pump stopped working at the end of the mash and I had to use gravity to run the wort through the CFC.
You'll be happy with it.

Did you use anything to limit outflow on the cooling side to get single pass cooling? How long did the cooling take? How big of a batch?

sam

Nothing to limit outflow. When I removed the pump, the ball valve came with it. It was wide-open into the tubing.
I didn't time what it took to drain the kettle, sorry.
Whatever about 10 gallons needs to drain through a 1/2" camlock fitting, 1/2" copper pipe and 1/2" silicone tubing via gravity.

Sam, What website did you find the T fittings for that low?
I bought my T-fittings at Menards (like Home Depot or Lowe's) - they are 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2. You have to grind out the nubs/stopper out of the 1/2" end to get the 1/2" copper pipe to pass all the way through. I see Sam used a bit to do it. That had to be easier than me using a dremel...

I bought my T-fittings at Menards (like Home Depot or Lowe's) - they are 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2. You have to grind out the nubs/stopper out of the 1/2" end to get the 1/2" copper pipe to pass all the way through. I see Sam used a bit to do it. That had to be easier than me using a dremel...

Yes I used a 5/8" reamer in a drill press with simple wood jig to hold the fitting from torquing and still letting it float, i used a wax stick for lubricant.
SAm

Latest posts

Back