CO2 Tank Pressure (PSI)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVBen

Reaction score
There is a common question in this forum about using the pressure gauge to determine how much CO2 is remaining, so I created this diagram to show the cycle of a CO2 tank going from full to empty.

You cannot use the pressure gauge to determine the amount of liquid CO2 that you have remaining. The best way to measure the amount of liquid CO2 remaining is to weigh it.

When you fill up a 20-pound CO2 tank, you will get 20 pounds of liquid CO2. The total weight will be the weight of the empty tank plus the 20 pounds of liquid CO2.

To measure how much liquid CO2 you have left:
weigh the tank and subtract the weight of the tank when it is empty.

As you can see, as long as there is liquid CO2 remaining, the pressure will remain constant:

CO2.jpg

I always look at my pressure gauge and have never been caught (except the leak) empty handed. It will give you a warning of impending doom and then I know I have a day to replace.

btw - I have a spare tank or two in the garage anyway.

Only one or two? I have four normal aluminum tanks (tow 2.5#, one 5#, and one 20#) plus a pair of 20oz paintball type. IF I run out of gas, its all my own damn fault for not getting some of them filled.

Latest posts

Back