Any alternatives to the Hotrod Heat Stick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
*Edit - just saw a got an email response last night from Brewhardware.com so editing this post. They said it should be in stock within two weeks so I'll probably just wait But if there are alternatives let me know, always good to know what else is out there.

Is there anything else like it on the market? I want to do stove top gas assisted electric brewing. Don't want to drill holes in a kettle, I'd like to mount it like the hot rod. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rev.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat here (also emailed them, but haven't heard anything back). Would like to buy the hot rod ASAP, but also open to alternatives. Let me know if you see them pop up back in stock.

I'm in the same boat here (also emailed them, but haven't heard anything back). Would like to buy the hot rod ASAP, but also open to alternatives. Let me know if you see them pop up back in stock.

Will do. Been checking daily. Ugh... lol.

did you guys find a replacement for the hot rod? I have been waiting since June. they replied back saying it was going to be on stock late early august but nothing yet. i have been trying to contact them but no luck :(

I used a 1500w heat stick (Utilitec 1500w/120V universal element) 18 times doing partial boil recipes before “popping” on the 19th use. It was used for heat-up and also during the 60-minute boil when my former stove-top electric element was maybe 1800w to 2000w, which is barely enough wattage for stove-top partial volume brewing. To make it easy to control the heat input, I used a dial router speed control (Harbor Freight - Model 43060) that allowed me to dial-in the desired heat input. I built this one from information I read here on one of the forum DIY discussions a few years ago. Not sure why it “popped” as it was completely submerged at the time. I suspect it might have been from build-up of brewing extracts on the heating element interfering with the heat transfer. Since it took a bit of effort to make one like this using plumbing parts and J-B weld, I decided to scrap it and do without. I finally decided to make a replacement using tri-clamp parts as this method would allow for easy change-out of a “failed” element in a matter of minutes, even during brewing time! I classified this build as one of those “something to do just because and who cares what it costs” moments even though I surely could do without. My new brew kitchen is equipped with two high-wattage elements (3000w and a 3200w), so for partial boils, a heat stick is not something really necessary for me. Well, after spending about $100 for parts and $30 for custom drilling, I now have the perfect build. Parts list includes:

1 - 2” tri-clamp pipe (20” length)
1 – 2” clamps
2 – 2” silicon gaskets
1 – 2” tri-clamp x 1” element adapter
1 – 2” end cap (customized after purchase)
1 – 6’ cable, 14 AWG. 3-conductor, with 3-pringed electrical plug
1 – 1/2" Low-Profile Strain Relief Non-Metallic Cord Connector (Model Number: LPCG50-1M, Menards® SKU: 3654107)
1 - #8 x 1” bolt, with 2 nuts, and 1 lock-washer for the ground connection
1 – Utilitech 1500w/120V universal element (high density)

TC_HeatStick_00.jpg

The old one.
TC_HeatStick_01.jpg

The new and improved one.
TC_HeatStick_02.jpg

TC_HeatStick_03.jpg

TC_HeatStick_04.jpg

TC_HeatStick_05.jpg

TC_HeatStick_06.jpg

The final build is kind of heavy and bulky. I decided on a 20” pipe (in lieu of a 12”) just in case I want to use it on a full-volume boil with my 8-gallon brew kettle if I decide to go back outside using propane. I took the end-cap to a local machine shop to drill 2 holes in the end cap for the cable gland and ground connection bolt. It was worth it, since the guy said the 304-stainless steel end cap was very hard to drill through. Hole sizes for the parts were “close-fit” drilled – just enough to insert the cable gland and grounding bolts. I should really use an ultra-low density (wattage per square inch of surface area) element, but when the “cheapo” element burns out, I can swap it out in no time with whatever I want. For now, I’m using the heat stick to heat up water to steeping temperature. Note the dial speed controller is plugged into a GFCI outlet during use. Warning - the router speed control gets smoking hot so use caution!! If I had an ultra-low-density heating element, I might consider using it during the heat-up from steeping temperature to full boil. My heat-up rate (for 2.5 gallons water) using the tri-clamp model is now about double at 7.2 F/minute. I figure it saves me maybe 15 minutes to heat water to steeping temperatures, so after 1,344 brew sessions, I have enough time in the bank for a 2-week vacation!

Back