Swamp Cooler Hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo2569

Reaction score
Well I got a good deal on some Sankey kegs, and thought they'd be perfect for 12 G batches. Come to find out after brewing and transferring, my chest freezer ferm chamber is 1/2" to small in width for the keg. So Plan B. Swamp cooler. Well wasn't getting enough temp drop out of it, so I figured I would go ahead and do some testing for my final Plan. I took my old immersion chiller, ran it around the keg with a Pond pump, some extra hose and a bucket full of ice water and recirculated. Its holding at 65'F. The next evolution is to flip it onto a stand(already welded) and add a triclover clamp and ballvalve(already ordered). Use it like a conical with a bigger coil, and insulation, and pump Glycol from my other chest freezer around it. To all who contributed thanks for all the ideas.:mug:

Some pictures. I will update the progress in the next week or so on the final plan.

image-1698598588.jpg

image-370991162.jpg

image-2682296688.jpg

I added 20' of 3/8 OD copper today. With fresh ice, I'm getting down to 60. So when I move to ethylene glycol in the freezer, it should work pretty well. Did some research and 30% glycol will freeze at 2'F. Haven't checked yet but I think I can crank the freezer down to 15-20. So that should be fine. Gotta do some research on Keezer builds to figure out where the input output lines can be positioned. should have the triclover clamp and ball valve by the end of the week. But I don't think flipping during fermentation would be good. Not only that but I'm pretty sure it weighs like 130 lbs.

Back