Immersion chiller geometry spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally decided to make an immersion chiller. I vacillated for a long time about how long and what kind of tubing. I'm working my way up to all grain and full boils. The next step is a new 10 gallon pot for Christmas. (Thank you wifey for that. :rockin:)

On my way I created a spreadsheet to calculate how many coils and how high the stack would end up given a certain tubing diameter and length. I thought it might help someone else out if they are going to make their own. It also will help you calculate the depth of liquid in a pot of a given diameter if you tell it how many gallons. (For mine I figured out I wouldn't fit a 50' chiller within a 5 gallon batch.)

Good luck, happy bendin'!

View attachment Immersion Chiller Geometry Calc.xml

I also ended up with an extra 25' of tubing and made a second one. I'd part with it for $29 plus shipping. It's the copper part only. You need to provide whatever hoses and connections you wish. It's 3/8" tubing and a 9" diameter coil. PM me if you are interested.

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

Back