FINALLY The New Brew Rig is complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckley28

Reaction score
Finally compelted the new brew rig after a month or so of planning and research. I wanted to keep things small and really all inclusive. So I didnt go all out w/ custom made burners but rather used a camping stive I baught from Costco as it works like a charm.
Some of the thought process was derived from many different variations I found through multiple threads on HBT.

The basic frame:
IMAG0420.jpg

Water Manifold coming into the rig:
IMAG0421.jpg

More process on the water source guts:
IMAG0422.jpg

Water input/output to the stationary chiller:
IMAG0423.jpg

Water Filtration System:
IMAG0424.jpg

Valve Completion (From L to R - Water Filtration Valve; Flush Line Valve; Chiller Valve; Pump Flow Valve):
IMAG0425.jpg

Install of the March Pump and Running of Electrical Switch:
IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

Test Run w/ Water (Making sure there are no leaks):
IMAG0429.jpg

Water from Filter into Kettle:
IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0431.jpg

Final pics right before brewing: :rockin:
IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

Is the hot side piping pvc as well?

Good question...
The hot side is PVC at the inlet from kettle to stem (center valve location). However, its only for about 4 inches then trensfers into high temp tubing. The March Pump valve is built w/ PVC so the hot wort runs through that as well. I have found that the high temp wort is not good for the PVC threaded fittings (and may be an issue on the PVC glue to in the future after multiple brews) so I am changing out those two areas w/ the PEX tubing and brass valves to eliminate any possible cross contamination from the PVC glue w/ wort and to maintain lock tight fittings. This will be changed this week before my next scheduled brew.

Made some minor changes to the valves...switched the hot wort valve to pex and brass fittings w/ ball valve. Now it seems to be holding up just fine to the heat...no issues yet.

I love and wish I had the money to build one. How much total cost?

Well the cost is jaded due to the fact I work on a construction as the PM lol...so material is somewhat readily available (ie: metal studs, sheet metal and PVC). My welder is gone which is why I went w/ metal studs in lieu of angled steel. However, the pump, valves, tubing and chiller were bought elsewhere. I would say if I had to buy all material myself it would probably be around $600.

An update...I misspoke in my previous post about switching the valves on the hot side out to PEX. I bought the material but chose not to go that route as I was worried about the temp on the PEX so I went to copper.

Very, Very, Nice! I really like the compact size. I may have to look into the metal stud idea for my build. I was going to go with 1.5 inch stainless tubing, but I would have to get a welder to assemble the cut pieces. The studs I could do myself. Thanks for the post.

Very, Very, Nice! I really like the compact size. I may have to look into the metal stud idea for my build. I was going to go with 1.5 inch stainless tubing, but I would have to get a welder to assemble the cut pieces. The studs I could do myself. Thanks for the post.

Yup metal studs are super light and easy to use. I like them for the smaller size and the rigidity in addition to keep the weight down. Go for it man you'll be super happy. :rockin:

Back