Fermentation Chamber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeyawd

Reaction score
I build a fermentation chamber out of a maytag freezer here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upright-freezer-turned-fermentation-chamber-197161/

The problem Im having is the Overload Protector keep tripping every couple of days. I can reset it...and have things back to normal...but eventually it will trip again. Is this the sign of a bad protector? Or is it just from kicking the compressor on and off so much? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I have zero experience in this area, but I read something this morning that may help you out, and could help get the ball rolling with the more experienced brewers chimeing in.

Does the controller have the ability to not short cycle the compressor? I'm thinking (smell that smoke) that the pressure in the compressor isn't getting back to normal before the freezer is switches the compressor back on causing it to trip.

You know I remember a post about that. Thanks for the help I'll take a trip in the search.

Hey DrawTap88 thanks for the lead. I did a little snooping around.

"Short cycling a compressor will damage it. 2-3 seconds as in your case may not damage it, but only a few minutes between cycles is not good. Be careful with your controller. Allow 5-10 minutes between shutdown and the start of another cycle."

I dug through my love controller's manual and found the c0 perameter:

c0 = Minimum relay stop time. Minimum relay time from disconnection of a relay till it can be switched on again.

As per the note a found on another forum, I set this for 10min...figure safer is better. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Back