Dutch's Dualing ICs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchoven

Reaction score
So I recently fabbed up a set of immersion chillers … thought I’d pimp them out.

I was leaning toward a plate chiller, then saw this thread Great price on copper coil at home depot. $15.03 per 50' roll! :ban:

Used two 50’ rolls of 3/8" tubing, soldered 1/2" uprights, 1/2" FNPT connections, and Kent quick disconnects.

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

I tried them out the other week along with a whirlpool fitting in my keggle. A tad slower than I would have thought (~20 minutes for 10-11 gallons); probably due to the lack of wort movement between the chillers. So I decided to bend up a whirlpool arm out of some 5/8" stainless I had laying around -- this will allow me to direct the wort between the chillers.

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

That thing looks cooler than hell and that coming from another dutchman.
Thomas Vrieze

Awesome. You really ought to get better cooling than that. I have a single stage 20' 1/2" that cools an 11 gal batch in 13 min. with lots of stirring that is. That's really the ticket-moving the wort around. I would be surprised if you get like 8 min chilling from this with your whirlpool arm.

I like what you have done. I have a chiller that has 60 ft of copper in two coils, one inner, one outer. However, it is all one unit. What I like about your unit is its versatility. You will be able to use one or both units. And your units will clean up much, much easier than if both coils were in one unit. Adding the recirculation arm should aid considerably cooling the wort. I like what you did.

Mark:ban:

Alright, I tried the chillers and whirlpool arm today on an 11-gallon batch and saw my cooling time cut in half (~9-10 minutes). The water exiting the chillers was consistently 4-5 degrees below the wort temp throughout the process. It's so nice to be able to walk away from the wort while its chilling ... I hate having to move the wort around.

Back