Cheap Chinese DC Recirc pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score

Both of those are not food grade, just because it has a stainless head doesn't imply it is food grade.

FWIW, I have both the Topsflow solar pump (x2) and the beige pumps (x2) and I much prefer the topsflow pumps. They seem much less likely to clog up than the beige ones. That and I was always worried about snapping off the outlet port on the beige pump.

Just my opinion,
-G

this is prolly what you want .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topsflo-10P...ulation-Pump-Digital-Thermometer/141113632194

I use 3 that look the same as these on my rig and they work like a charm.
I've seen those, but for triple the price, didn't notice much difference except the brass connectors. No duty cycle specs and not mag-coupled.
Both of those are not food grade, just because it has a stainless head doesn't imply it is food grade.

FWIW, I have both the Topsflow solar pump (x2) and the beige pumps (x2) and I much prefer the topsflow pumps. They seem much less likely to clog up than the beige ones. That and I was always worried about snapping off the outlet port on the beige pump.

Just my opinion,
-G
Have seen the HF too, and may have to make a field trip to fondle them. I probably want more than intermittent duty though.
Not worried about food grade or getting clogged from water.
Do the Topsflow seem to perform to specs, and any idea how they might handle continuous duty?
I have the cheap tan pump and haven't had any problems so far, but others have reported some issues. Please see this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-compact-wort-pump-375904/

(hanging head in shame) should have searched before posting.

Thanks all

I'd need to try and dig up the spec sheet, but as I recall, the Topsflo are rated for continuous duty. One of my pumps circulates the HLT for sometimes as much as 3 hours during brew day ...never a hiccup.
...and they are indeed Mag coupled, just like a March pump.

I've never measured the flow output from the pump, but I have no complaints or reason to question the performance. They come in 3 different volume and lift ratings that should fit your application.

just a satisfied customer.

I've seen those, but for triple the price, didn't notice much difference except the brass connectors. No duty cycle specs and not mag-coupled.

Have seen the HF too, and may have to make a field trip to fondle them. I probably want more than intermittent duty though.
Not worried about food grade or getting clogged from water.
Do the Topsflow seem to perform to specs, and any idea how they might handle continuous duty?

(hanging head in shame) should have searched before posting.

Thanks all

I am also interested in the HF pumps. I know they will not state food grade. I think they would do well in non acid solutions. My primary use for it will be recirculation in HLT. I have handled it at the store and it seems very solid. I am wondering if anyone out there has used one?

let me know if you end up getting it. I have some time before my control panel comes along, so I am not too rushed to buy one

Does anyone use their cheap tan China pumps for a RIMS re-circulation? I'm wondering if the flow rate is too fast or juuuust right?

Yeah I've been through and through that thread. I couldn't find anyone using it for a RIMS set up on full blast. I picked a potentiometer on lunch and I'm gonna mount it inside of a plastic case and velcro it to the pump now. Just wondered if anyone had the experience.

Ok. Understood. I don't have RIMS, so I can't speak for that. I do know that I don't really need any more flow than mine has for what I do. The published rates seem to be fairly accurate, i.e. mine is rated for 3.8 GPM at 12 VDC and, without really testing/timing, it I would say it's fairly accurate.

Ok. Understood. I don't have RIMS, so I can't speak for that. I do know that I don't really need any more flow than mine has for what I do. The published rates seem to be fairly accurate, i.e. mine is rated for 3.8 GPM at 12 VDC and, without really testing/timing, it I would say it's fairly accurate.

Ok. Thanks. Yeah I've got the same tan one as was linked. That flow rate is going to be a bit too much for RIMS probably. I'll have a use for the potentiameter after all then. Thanks.

Side note, I was pretty surprised by the power of this little guy. Any experiences using it at boiling temps straight out of the kettle and through a chiller of sorts?

I would just use a ball valve on the ouput side to slow down the flow instead of a potentiometer... But I guess that's just personal preference.

I run mine at boiling temps, but not through a chiller. I recirulate the last part of my boil and whirlpool during chill. Not sure about the tan one, but the black topsflo slows down some at boiling temperatures.

I just used mine in the last batch brewing. Just used it intermittently to help recirculate and keep a constant temp in my BIAB setup. Unscrewed the unions (wish I would have gone with cam locks) and submerged in sink and plumbed into immersion chiller. Worked like a charm and no dragging garden hose through the kitchen. But time will tell on the durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah I've been through and through that thread. I couldn't find anyone using it for a RIMS set up on full blast. I picked a potentiometer on lunch and I'm gonna mount it inside of a plastic case and velcro it to the pump now. Just wondered if anyone had the experience.

I run the topsflow on my RIMS setup and I think the flow is just right, for just about everything so I don't really use ball valves for restricting flow (redirecting flow on 3 way valves). I have had nothing but good experiences from them.

-G

I run the topsflow on my RIMS setup and I think the flow is just right, for just about everything so I don't really use ball valves for restricting flow (redirecting flow on 3 way valves). I have had nothing but good experiences from them.

-G

Great to hear thanks. I've got the tan pump and not the topsflow. But, the topsflow has a max flow rate of 10L/m and the tan one is 6.5L/m @ 12V so I think it'll be just perfect one full power then. I'll leave it like that. I can always add later.

Thanks alot!

What size are these threads? Standard NPT? I asked a while back and got a broken English response saying they would send a PDF data sheet, but never did. Not sure why they just couldn't tell me the thread size.

I can speak for the tan version that's linked in the 1st post and say I've got both ends threaded to FPT threaded quick disconnected and they are snug. I added a couple extra turns of tape because I think they are British NPT, but no leaks at all.

What size are these threads? Standard NPT? I asked a while back and got a broken English response saying they would send a PDF data sheet, but never did. Not sure why they just couldn't tell me the thread size.

They were def npt I forget which size exactly. I'll find them this weekend and measure them and report back. I def got em at the Home Depot. No leaks, standard threads. No worries

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Only issue I have had is they do get plugged from time to time during the start of my mash. Easy to clean out and move on. I use them to recirculate 100% of the time in my HLT and mash (direct fire). I find it helps get to strike water temp quicker on the HLT through recir.

I also use one at the end of the boil. It pushes the wort through a pre-chiller and a CFC with no problems.

The fittings you see are from bargainfittings.com. Never leaked.

Hope this helps.

009.jpg

Wow this is used for a pre chiller and CFC? I just might have to give this thing a try when whirlpooling through my plate chiller and back to the BK then. I whirlpool for whole volume cooling and not for the actual whirlpool effect, so it might get the job done.

Thanks for posting.

Old thread, but those of you that have these cheap Chinese eBay pumps, are they still holding up? Looking to buy one.

I have 2, well, now only 1. It died. The other one cracked at the brittle inlet/outlet area. Not beefy enough. I managed to swap guts so that's why I have 1 left. Cheap, but in my experience, more trouble and delicate.

I can speak for the tan version that's linked in the 1st post and say I've got both ends threaded to FPT threaded quick disconnected and they are snug. I added a couple extra turns of tape because I think they are British NPT, but no leaks at all.

they are British non tapered threads but work fine with stainless straight or NPT threads (at least all my tan pumps do)
I love these pumps been using them for over 2 years now.

Old thread, but those of you that have these cheap Chinese eBay pumps, are they still holding up? Looking to buy one.

my 12v and 24v vesions have like 30 brew sessions each on them now... (I have 3 12v pumps and 4 24v versions which are better than the 12v versions.)
they also sell a 5gpm 3.5amp version of this pump but I have not purchased or tested yet... I found that hooking 2 of these in tandem will increase the flow rate quite a bit too although I havent needed the additional flow speed for anything..

If you do a good job or prefiltering the wort that goes through them they will never plug... I never had an issue and I use the to recirculate through my rims as well as sparging.

Back