Building a $10 primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's different than just buying a bucket and lid for under $10? Even has a better lid (gasketed) then typical ale pails. Buy two and a bucket opener (finger saver) and get free shipping.

6-Gallon Bucket)

There's not a huge difference, really. Especially if you use some foam control in the fermenter to reduce krausen.

The only real difference is that the AHS bucket that I linked to is 7 gallons (IMHO, perfect size for 5 gallon batches) and comes pre-drilled with a sized stopper. If you have a drill and spade bit, along with a properly sized stopper, you might be better off buying a food grade bucket somewhere else. It's all about what's convienient for you.

For me, and again this is just my opinion, I'd rather spend a few extra bucks for the larger pre-drilled bucket and the stopper. I don't own spade bits for my drill, and I don't have a LHBS I can drive to with my lid to find a perfect fitting stopper. Also, I have total trust in AHS and I know first-hand about their awesome customer service.

But again, that's only my experience and opinion. I know several people have had success with even the 5 gallon Home Depot "Homer," buckets, albeit they probably have much more blowoff than the AHS buckets do.

Back