5 tap coffin keezer build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperlite1604

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been a long time lurker but just joined to add to the great assortment of coffin keezer builds. A lot was "borrowed" in the making of the keezer from the great ideas on these threads.

I had been wanting to get into kegging for a while and jokingly had told my wife that I wanted to build a keezer for the house. Of course I got a laugh and a "No way." However once I showed her some of the images from this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/coffin-keezer-list-256871/ (thanks Jeebas) her tune quickly changed and I got the ok! So that weekend we went to work designing it. The wife wanted shelves on the sides to put glasses and our stash of assorted liquors in. So without further ado here are some pictures.

The frame was built with 2x4s. We put it on 3 inch casters so it would be easy to maneuver.

0f8w.jpg

ynvh.jpg

z1ld.jpg

We used 1/2" birch plywood for the outside.

1qn9.jpg

xqz6.jpg

wb4n.jpg

We then glued the front pieces on.

ljjm.jpg

Cut out the top piece

lzqq.jpg

Glued on the side cabinet trim pieces

lrxl.jpg

The wife helping make the top part and positioning how high above the glasses it should be.

ikzs.jpg

Making the cabinet doors. I love these clamps. Makes it so much easier to square things up!

ah4j.jpg

Gluing on the top trim.

r7em.jpg

Test fitting.

bw7h.jpg

The tile we plan to use on the top.

k47i.jpg

Put the freezer in!

e2bu.jpg

z6zo.jpg

Finally got the Perlicks 525SS in the mail so I had to test fit them!
iqf7.jpg

Positioning the tile
hjfx.jpg

cgko.jpg

Huft's Beastly Brew!!
mv2x.jpg

u3ng.jpg

So that is as far as we have gotten so far. I plan to lay the tile this upcoming weekend. Once that is done, we are pretty much ready to go. I brewed a pale ale and IPA this weekend to get some beer ready. I used my fermentation freezer for this project so my brewing has been slacking. I was able to score a chest freezer for $50 though so we are back in business!

Once I have more updates I will post them in this thread. Thanks again for all the ideas here! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Very nice! :rockin: Congrats on a job well done.

Like you, I borrowed a lot of ideas from other HBT keezer build threads to build ours. The cabinets on the side is the way to go if you have the space in your room for the finished keezer. In case you missed it, here's mine: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fathers-day-coffin-keezer-416861/ I really like the gas springs in my build which I found in another thread.

Very nice. You should get many years of enjoyment out of it. It is a chore keeping 5 taps full. One of mine is root beer. If you haven't planned for it already, definitely look into the gas assist struts. That top will be extremely heavy.

Thanks guys! I have already purchased the gas springs. That is on the to do list. I was waiting until I got the tile one. Mine are rated for 100 pounds so I hope that is not too strong that it will want to open on its own all the time.

I have space for 4 5 gallon kegs in there and I got a 2.5 gallon keg that can fit on the hump. That will be for cider or any experimental beers. I took some pictures of the cabinet doors which I will post later today.

Got the doors on tonight.

43yh.jpg

There will be a shelf that goes in there as well. The other side will contain the temp controller and a 20# CO2 tank.

a7mj.jpg

Well here is a small update. I got the tiles in and grouted yesterday. Here are a few pictures.

92em.jpg

i3jx.jpg

6802.jpg

y5ri.jpg

4hjf.jpg

I am getting real close to finishing it up. I need to install the fans to circulate the air around the freezer and in the box on top, install insulation in the top box, and figure out my gas springs. Getting close! Beer is fermenting away in the fermentor in the garage and should be ready in a couple weeks.

Back