157 rpm ac gearmotor on sale at grainger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticking with the L50 sized Lovejoy's... looks like a 39 in-lb spider is the best you can do. Will that hold up on a barleycrusher?

After discussing with Grainger, ordered:

1 Gearmotor,AC,157 RPM Item no: 2Z849 $115.48
1 Shaft Coupler Body, Item no: 4X175 $4.05
1 Shaft Coupler Body, Item no: 4X177 $4.05
1 Insert, Urethane,Item no: 3KZ67 $6.17
TOTAL = $129.75 + $11.90 tax (I LUV NY) + $18.75 shipping = $160.39 total

1 Motor left in inventory (after my purchase).

OP: Thanks for creating this thread. Using my Barley Crusher by hand or even with my portable drill is a PITA.

Hmm. I had one in my cart online but ended up doing the order via phone. I cleared the online order, then went back in and it is still available. I'm sitting in checkout and it still appears ready to go.

I wonder if it wasn't available because of that (not a great inventory system if so). Anyway, I cleared my cart if someone else wants to try again. (Can't use two of these :) .)

TL1043907-40.jpg

well, you don't HAVE to mount inline.
I'm using something like this from HD for $18-ish

Blast I missed it. Though I am sure my wife won't be disappointed... It says not available for inventory.

A question for you motor guys. Is there a way to find out torque on a motor if it isn't explicitly listed on the motor body?

I have a motor I use for my apple shredder that I was thinking about gearing down so I could use it on my corona mill. Here are the specs as listed (didn't see any gearing ratios):

1140 rpms
1/2 horse
7.8amp

I was given the motor, so I have no idea what it was from. It almost sounds like my dads old drill press motor (when it shuts off it has a sort of click and you can hear what sounds like a soft breaking mechanism).

I am not sure if it is well suited for grain, but hope it is because I only use the motor for a couple pressing sessions in the fall. Would be great to capitalize more us out of it.

I plan on trying to use it with pulleys and a V belt. Any recommendations for RPMs?

For apple grinding I use a 2.5 and a 9inch on the grind to get about 317 rpms by my calculations:

2.5'' / 9'' = .277: .277 x 1140rps = 316.66666

Latest posts

Back