Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also got a 6 pack of this. It's not someting I'd brew...bit low on hops and the cascade hops they have are a lot different than the ones I get, but for $7 a 6 pack AND a nice looking bottle...I'm pretty sure i'ts my new "store beer" for the depression.

Shweet! I have been looking for this at stores and gas stations for a while now, and it seems that Brothers Bar and Grill, about 3 blocks away, has it. I'm going to try it very soon! FYI - this is the same place where the owner once told me that the thinner and more refreshing the beer the better. That is why he doesn't carry anything heavy. Only what the local yokles will guzzle down. At least he finally got Oberon though.

I love the quotes that show up at the bottom of Bud's page for this beer.

One of them says "It has a microbrew taste". :confused:

Then drink an effin' microbrew!

What advertisements?

Do you know if they are twist offs or do they need an opener? I've started limiting my commercial buying choices and tasting to those that look like they aren't twist offs. May as well get to keep the bottles if I am paying $7 - $9 for a six pack.

I had it on tap this past weekend. It wasn't that bad. Major steps above the rest that they offer. But I only had one since there were 36 other taps to choose from. If in a pinch...

If in a pinch...

It's likely to be in all the places that you've always wanted,but never been able to get, more than Bud Light and Coors Light from a tap.

I'm glad they are taking steps in the right direction...and I'll bet my nightly beer that there are a few hard core BMC drinkers out there that will be converted by this product...so I say good for But Wiper...er....Budweiser.

I was surprised at the lack of Hyperbole surrounding it's arrival in stores...I took my 84 year old mom grocery shopping at Meijers and as is my wont to do in anyplace, I scanned the beer aisle...It wasn't stacked near all the other BMC's, it was actually tucked in amidst the handful of craft brews...very unceremoniously I might add...

Oh it was 5.65 got a sixer....

I'm having my first one now...It is...Drinkable, (though I swear I taste some rice in it.....)

My formal review will have to wait til tomorrow...I been up since 4, at work 90 minutes early (@ 7AM) then spent 2 hours taking my mom grocery shopping...and now I am too fried to do a real review...

after having a few, i find it is much more enjoyable at warmer temps. at fridge temp it lacks much malt or hops character, but upon warming begins to display a much more pronounced flavor and aroma. pull your bottle out of the fridge 30 minutes before opening or alternatively, run it under hot water for 30 seconds. i think youll find it much more enjoyable.

after having a few, i find it is much more enjoyable at warmer temps. at fridge temp it lacks much malt or hops character, but upon warming begins to display a much more pronounced flavor and aroma. pull your bottle out of the fridge 30 minutes before opening or alternatively, run it under hot water for 30 seconds. i think youll find it much more enjoyable.

You're right...the one I just drank has been pretty much in my car for 90 minutes so it's not cold at all...and yeah it's pretty malty.

When I review beers, I usually take them from cold to room temp during the formal tasting.

And surprisingly it doesn't leave my teeth and tongue needing sandblasting after drinking to get that sticky sweetness off of them, like it's Lager counterpart does...

I don't know the specific style they're after, calling it an American Ale but I'd qualify it as mild. Not overly hopped which is unique in the US nowadays and wasn't overly carbed. To me it had a rather nice malt feel at the tap pour temp where I had it. Not much lacing. Again nothing outstanding but two thumbs up for a BMC product. Hell, it could have been bud-lime.

I bought a six of this locally (St. Louis MO area) for $6.99. Nice pry-off bottles. I might keep a few for homebrews. Definate step up for AB. Nice hop/malt balance but not a lot of either. A LOT of carbonation.

I tried a few last night. If I'm in a bind and this is available, I'd drink it. If other options exist I'll get something better. Though at a $3 per six pack savings, it is a pretty good deal.

Paying $10 - $14 for a six pack drives me nuts, but I enjoy the beer it gets me.

Linc

Hmmm, it seems the distributor here in Austin holds this stuff in high regard.

Here's what a case goes for at Sam's Club today.

BudAleAtSams.jpg

On the other hand, for almost $4 less per case at the same Sam's Club you could get this.

SNPAatSams.jpg

Which one would you choose?

I don't know the specific style they're after, calling it an American Ale but I'd qualify it as mild. Not overly hopped which is unique in the US nowadays and wasn't overly carbed. To me it had a rather nice malt feel at the tap pour temp where I had it. Not much lacing. Again nothing outstanding but two thumbs up for a BMC product. Hell, it could have been bud-lime.

My brother works for AB in NH. He told me that the American Ale was closest in style to an amber ale. I picked up a sixer to try out. I think they're between decent and good. Definately not spectacular or anything but it's definately an AB product I wouldn't mind a pitcher of at a bar if they didn't have any microbrew.

Drinking it right now. I have no complaints. I think its a step in the right direction for AB. Not a bad beer for 7 bucks a 6 pack. Is SNPA better? yes. is Sweetwater 420 beter? yes. but its clean, drinkable and i'd be able to kill a six pack, no problem. If they don't carry a micro in the bar and they have this on tap, i'd be happy. I wanted to keep SNPA or Sweetwater on tap at the house, but if the price is right, this could be a possibility for a nice session beer.

Hmmm, it seems the distributor here in Austin holds this stuff in high regard.

Here's what a case goes for at Sam's Club today.

BudAleAtSams.jpg

On the other hand, for almost $4 less per case at the same Sam's Club you could get this.

SNPAatSams.jpg

Which one would you choose?

20 bucks for SNPA? What is it, 1995??!! Damn Connecticut and their high prices! This would be almost 50% more here!

I think maybe products like this could follow for AB and are a product of their takeover by InBev. InBev actually makes some damn fine products in Belgium, maybe they intend to make some decent brews here.

The Budweiser American Ale costs more than SNPA? Dang! Who are they kidding? All the folks who buy the Bud, I guess. That's a darn good price for SNPA.

Here we go.
Honesty as only TAC can provide.

My Beer Distributor flaked on me.. no sixer of American Ale dropped off as promised. Did get an extra Keg o'Bud tho for the restaurant. 'DOH
will beat him with a 2x4 when I see him next.

So, I hit the 7-11 across the street from my house for a sixer.
They had just placed it in the coldbox, right next to the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I will be honest.
I like this.
This is a great gateway beer. I taste hops. I taste malt. It tastes clean.
There is a slight hop nose and hoppy aftertaste. It is not Pliny the Elder or Furious. It has a nice copper color in my crappy Dollar Store pint glass.
I brew a helluvalot better on a bad brew day, but... I am not the target market. It's not bad. It's not great.. but it's not bad.

I'll keep this around as an 'oops out of homebrew kinda thing.

I am completely torn on whether I am happy about Bud Amber or furious.... there is definitely no middle ground.

I think it tastes fine, it is clean, has a mild citrus hop presence with a round malt backbone and a lagerly crisp finish. Its fine. Nothing fancy but fine beer.

Now, am I happy.... maybe, I think this could potentially turn Bud drinkers and mainstream people in general onto ales and different beers in general... which would be great. Or... it could steal market share from micros and we just end up with another group of dumb BMC Ale drinkers who still think micro beer is gross and weird.

I truly can't decide and will have to see some BMC drinkers reactions to it to gain my stance.

Cheers,
Confused Kabouter

I tried it last night on tap at the local joint. I'd probably drink it again, but I don't think I've had a pale ale that was worse either. It was just ok. I was really hoping for a taste of hops, but it was pretty mild. Much better than regular Bud by a long shot though.

Rode the motorcycle home for lunch today and at the last minute, dove into the local grocery store to try again...bingo...they finally had a few six packs in the cooler.

So I grabbed a sixer of BAA and SNPA, loaded them into the saddle bags and they're sitting at home now chilling.

I'll sit down tonight and give the AB product a full review.

Finally tried it today. I had a sixer in my hand when I was in line to pay and they were sampling it. I took a sample, drank it, and put the six pack back on the shelf. It really wasn't bad. Not terrible like I expected it to be. I just didn't feel like buying six of them. I might actually buy a sixer once in a while if I had some BMC buddies coming over.

just finished a few of them and I have to agree that it is a good gateway beer. Hops and malt aren't overpowering, clean crisp taste. Hopefully some of the BMC crowd will try it and want to try other things.

It's a decent Amber ale and it a lot better at around 50 degrees than it is at draft temp.

Not bad and re-capable bottles.

Judged as an American Amber

Aroma: Definite caramel tones. Faint, but noticeable hop aroma. Not a strong citrus as the commercials would have you believe. Smells like a well brewed amber.

Appearance: Golden copper. Crystal clear. Bright creamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Very little lacing on the glass. Appears highly carbonated. Effervesces a lot.

Flavor: Initial caramel comes through but there is a definite bitterness that balances the malt. Very definitely an Amber. Crystal malts come through. The bitterness is firm and balanced...does not linger. A very easy beer to drink with a lot of flavor. Not a lot of hop nose. Definitely balanced on the malt side.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel. Rather chewy as the beer warms up. Very smooth flavor...but not lacking. Again...malt is the name of the game. IF you're expecting an SNPA knock off...this is not even in the ball park. But if you're looking for a firmly bitter American Amber..this is pretty good. Kind of reminds me of an Octoberfest that has had the IBU's kicked up by 10-15 or so.

Overall impression: I liked it. It was a well brewed example of an American Amber. Rich but quaffable. Could have used a bit more Carapils to help the head retention, but it was easy to drink and not lacking in flavor.

Big difference for this beer when you let it warm up a bit. It goes from bland to not to bad. Plus the bottles rock. They are heavy, and very dark. I already have a Brewers Best Scottish Ale conditioning in some of them.

Judged as an American Amber

Aroma: Definite caramel tones. Faint, but noticeable hop aroma. Not a strong citrus as the commercials would have you believe. Smells like a well brewed amber.

Appearance: Golden copper. Crystal clear. Bright creamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Very little lacing on the glass. Appears highly carbonated. Effervesces a lot.

Flavor: Initial caramel comes through but there is a definite bitterness that balances the malt. Very definitely an Amber. Crystal malts come through. The bitterness is firm and balanced...does not linger. A very easy beer to drink with a lot of flavor. Not a lot of hop nose. Definitely balanced on the malt side.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel. Rather chewy as the beer warms up. Very smooth flavor...but not lacking. Again...malt is the name of the game. IF you're expecting an SNPA knock off...this is not even in the ball park. But if you're looking for a firmly bitter American Amber..this is pretty good. Kind of reminds me of an Octoberfest that has had the IBU's kicked up by 10-15 or so.

Overall impression: I liked it. It was a well brewed example of an American Amber. Rich but quaffable. Could have used a bit more Carapils to help the head retention, but it was easy to drink and not lacking in flavor.
I agree with biermunch. this is a beer from bud that i like. this might be another beer that i buy out at the bar.

We should start a pool on the time it takes for the eventual thread to pop up - "Does anyone have a clone recipe for Budweiser American Ale?"

We should start a pool on the time it takes for the eventual thread to pop up - "Does anyone have a clone recipe for Budweiser American Ale?"

I wondered about that too about 3 minutes ago when I saw a thread asking about an American Ale recipe. I suspect that's what triggered your idea too. ;)

Back