Is there a clarifier you can put in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Some of you may know that im attempting to make a Bud, Miller Coors clone. I wanted to use the irish moss during the boil but i forgot about it.

Im a little over 1 week into the lagering phase. It been in the cold storage for about 10 days at 42 F.

Is there another type of clarifier i can put into the secondary to clear up the cloudyness or at this time is it pointless?

I've used sparkolloid hot mix pretty sucesfully, but it's basically clay and needs at least a week to settle out after you add it. It a bit of a pita, and using it once will pretty much ensure you don't forget your irish moss next time. Cheap though. Two thumbs up.

Gelatin.....But your only a week into the lagering process. You should at least have a month to go. It will/should clean up by then. If not gelatin will clear it up. (Do a search, lots of threads.)

Yeah, the gelatin will bond to the yeast and drop it like Hammy said...good stuff. Better yet, for a beer like that get a filter and filter it.

I"ve used polychlar and it worked great - only thing is that you can't bottle, you have to keg and force carbonate - there won't be any yeast left in suspension after you use polychlar (and I think gelatin as well but I'm not sure).

What is your recipe? It seems like it'd be a rather difficult beer to clone.

Im sure its not exactly right on, but since experimentation is what brewing is all about, it cant hurt.

-Munton's Extra Light DME 3 lbs.
-Rice Syrup Solids 1 lb
-Corn Sugar (dextrose) 1 lb
-Saflager S-23
-Saaz Hops 1oz

Back