Shelf life of cracked grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane_Austin

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Question -- what is the acceptable shelf life of cracked grains?

I purchased all my ingredients for my first extract w/ specialty grains, an Oktoberfest, on May 16, but am only getting to it now, this week if I'm lucky, 2 weekends from now if not so lucky.

That means the cracked grains have been sitting on a shelf in the basement for over a month.

Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

Should I have frozen them?

Total, they cost me $9 from an LHBS that overcharges. I found another LHBS where I could get them cheaper, or Northern Brewer even cheaper (well maybe not w/ S&H).

If I have to replace, not a huge deal, but if it makes no difference, obviously I would hate to throw away $10.

What were they stored in?

When I started with all-grain, I was advised to use cracked grain within a couple days, as it can absorb moisture and get "stale". If I couldn't use it, then I was told to vacuum pack it, which I did a couple times and that worked well. I don't really know what could happen to the taste of the beer, but that is what the guy at the store told me to do.

Generally it is best to use it within a week. If you take some and taste it and it doesn't taste stale I'd go ahead and use it. If it does then you'll want to pick up new grain.

What were they stored in?

They are stored in the zip-lock baggies the grain came in at the store. He ground it for me and put it back in the baggies.

Sounds like I should replace, at the very least to play it safe. Oh well, $9.

I want this to turn out good, I am planning on bottling it for wedding favors when I get married in Oct.

$9 is nothing compared to the cost of wedding...:eek:

I've gone one week in a paper bag in my fermentation closet and 2.5 weeks in a ziplock bag in the fridge. No problem either time. But I try to get to the LHBS within a week of when I'm going to brew.

If you take some and taste it and it doesn't taste stale I'd go ahead and use it. If it does then you'll want to pick up new grain.

Huh. Well, me a being a relative n00b, I wouldn't know the difference between fresh cracked grain and stale if I tasted it.

Guess that's another skill I'll have to pick up! :mug:

Good question... I have some crushed grain in airtight containers in the freezer. Not sure if that will keep it fresh, but I thought it had the best chance.

I agree, better safe than sorry if you are giving these away as wedding favors. I would always want fresh ingredients, 6 hours of my time shouldn't be wasted for $9 worth of ingredients that could have made the brew even better :)

I agree, better safe than sorry if you are giving these away as wedding favors. I would always want fresh ingredients, 6 hours of my time shouldn't be wasted for $9 worth of ingredients that could have made the brew even better :)

That's a good point, but I'd still brew up something just for myself with the other grains. :D

True Brew and other kits include pre-milled specialty grains and they sure as heck are more than a couple weeks old when you buy them. I'm not saying there's no degradation of flavor, but some of those kits are still pretty good.

Latest posts

Back