Pond scum and how much air is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clafollette01

Reaction score
Im working on my first highlycexpirimental brew (ive done about 8 kits now, with some modifications here and there).

I kegged today and in the fermenter saw some hop bits and some scum like stiff on top, see the attachments. had anyone seem this before? I added some dry spices and molasses to the boil if that helps.

Also, while siphoning into the keg I was trying to avoid the trub on bottom and sum on top, but gurgled a racking cane worth of air into the keg. Will this completely oxidize my beer? I filled the keg with co2 before racking. I did this after 15.5 days of primary fermentation, ( yes I checked my gravity 1.06 init and 1.014 final with a drop to 1.013 after 5 days.)

20130422_103105.jpg

20130422_103112.jpg

Could be hop oils or a yeast by product. How did it smell? Did you take a sample and taste it? If it smelled and tasted fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

I also wouldn't worry about the little bit of air getting into the keg. I bet it will be fine.

Less than ideal with the o2, but it is done. Definitely not something to make you dump it.

The stuff on top looks a little troubling. Again not something terminal, but it does look like mold starting to me. Rack from under, no biggie.

Latest posts

Back