Back to square one!! NOO!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
Well, my pride just took a huge shot. After brewing my very first beer from a kit, smelling wonderful bliss at every stage, then tasting heaven, I moved right into my very own recipe. I think I failed miserably. I'm trying for an IPA & when I put it in the fermenter, it smells like an Arizona Green Tea. I mean EXACTLY like an Arizona Green Tea... I don't foresee this thing coming close to a beer, much less an IPA. Haha, I guess it's a good thing for me to fall off the mountain top so early. Now to go back & figure out what I did wrong.

Well,, you were only at square two,,,,,,so, no biggie,,,dust off your pride and get back up in the saddle ..l.
But really, after one batch you really need to maybe think about dialing in certain brewing fundamentals and not really concern yourself with an unproven recipe....pick a well reviewed recipe and use a staple yeast and you shall be rewarded. With good beer.

are you saying that your wort smells like an arizona green tea? like...fresh right from the kettle, wort? if so, you're ruling out your beer wayyyy too early. aroma and flavor are going to change DRAMATICALLY with the help of your yeast and time.

post your recipe.

RDWHAHB. My second all grain and first recipe smelled and tasted sour to me at gravity reading. I was freaking out! Posted here, talked to my LHBS and even had my non-beer drinking wife taste and smell it. It turns out I was just paranoid. Thought I had an infection but after 2 weeks in the bottle the beer tastes like beer!! Don't worry how it smells yet. Wait two to three weeks after it's bottled before you worry. Green beer tastes and smells different and patience usually heals all wounds.

Don't dump it. I made that mistake with my very first batch. We left it in a room with the windows open when we got hit with a streak of unseasonably cold nights while we were gone for the weekend. It didn't taste very good when it came time to bottle. Being inexperienced, I was convinced the beer was ruined and decided to dump it out halfway through bottling. I ended up with about 24 bottles that I stashed away in the back of the closet. Opened them up about 5 months later and they tasted great! Remember, patience is a virtue, especially with home brewing

Dude, stop right now. Fermentation can smell nice, it can stink to high heaven. What's in the fermenter often has no relation to what ens up in carbonated bottles.

Let this finish - beer is MUCH harder to screw up than people think. Yeast know how to make beer, let them!

are you saying that your wort smells like an arizona green tea? like...fresh right from the kettle, wort? if so, you're ruling out your beer wayyyy too early. aroma and flavor are going to change DRAMATICALLY with the help of your yeast and time.

post your recipe.

Well, I certainly hope everyone is right, but I did a few things that were a little "off the top of my head".

Steeped at 155 degrees:
1/2 lbs Carapils
1/2 lbs Crystal 30L
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 oz Simcoe

Returned to boil & added:
4 lbs Alexander's Pale Malt Liquid Extract
3 lbs Breiss Pilsen Light DME

1 oz Warrior @ 60
1 1/2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15
1/2 lbs Corn Sugar @ 10
1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 10
Mandarin orange zest @ 5
2 oz Centennial @ 0

Yeast - White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast - Used starter & stir plate, cold crashed, decanted.
OG 1.065
It's sitting in my fermentor plugging away at about 67 degrees right now.

I had A LOT of water lost to evaporation as compared to my first brew, because I didn't use a lid until really late in my boil. I also had it on full boil the entire time, then lost the boil for a few minutes during my 10 addition. I wasn't as diligent with my brewing this time.

Anyone see any red flags or should I RDWHAHB?

I think the beer will be just fine. The end product will be nothing like Arizona Green Tea. You actually do not want to have a lid on your pot during the boil so that is a good thing. You made a starter and are fermenting in the ideal temp range so I think you are good to go!

I wouldn't steep the Simcoe early. It packs a lot of flavor and aroma and is really well suited for later additions. Also, if you removed the simcoe when you removed the steeping grains, you might not have enough bitterness to make it an IPA.

I wouldn't steep the Simcoe early. It packs a lot of flavor and aroma and is really well suited for later additions. Also, if you removed the simcoe when you removed the steeping grains, you might not have enough bitterness to make it an IPA.

Ok. I'll remember that for the future. I didn't remove it when I pulled the grains, BUT I did use a separate muslin bag for all my hop additions. I removed that bag just before filling the fermenter. I'll be dry hopping about 3 more ounces - 1 1/2 of Simcoe & 1 1/2 of Centennial. Hopefully that helps.

Well, I certainly hope everyone is right, but I did a few things that were a little "off the top of my head".

Steeped at 155 degrees:
1/2 lbs Carapils
1/2 lbs Crystal 30L
2 lbs Munich Malt
1 oz Simcoe

Returned to boil & added:
4 lbs Alexander's Pale Malt Liquid Extract
3 lbs Breiss Pilsen Light DME

1 oz Warrior @ 60
1 1/2 oz Cascade @ 15
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15
1/2 lbs Corn Sugar @ 10
1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 10
Mandarin orange zest @ 5
2 oz Centennial @ 0

Yeast - White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast - Used starter & stir plate, cold crashed, decanted.
OG 1.065
It's sitting in my fermentor plugging away at about 67 degrees right now.

I had A LOT of water lost to evaporation as compared to my first brew, because I didn't use a lid until really late in my boil. I also had it on full boil the entire time, then lost the boil for a few minutes during my 10 addition. I wasn't as diligent with my brewing this time.

Anyone see any red flags or should I RDWHAHB?

Dosen't sound bad at all and to parrot what others say keeping a lid on is actually bad during the boil. The boil drives off DMS or Dimethyl sulfide, which can make beer taste like canned corn. It is especally apparent in beers that use a lot of pilsner malt. I boil them for 90 mins. I'd rather end up with 4 gallons of very good beer then 5 gallons of meh beer.

Hoppy, high gravity wort usually smells and tastes a little like iced tea pre-fermentation... at least that is my experience.

No need to worry. Seems heavy on the Munich and cara- malts though for my tastes. The big thing will be where this ends up gravity-wise. If it finishes near 1.020 or higher, you won't have a very good IPA.

I Have a simple answer...

DON'T SMELL YOUR WORT...OR TASTE IT.

It means NOTHING.It doesn't really matter what a beer tastes or smells like halfway through fermentation, most of mine taste like ****...so I don't bother tasting them at that point. And I suggest to new brewers to do likewise, or else they start threads like this...because it's not halfway through fermentation that is a representation of the finished product....it's after the beer has been carbed and conditioned for about 6 weeks, that is an accurate representation of what a beer tastes like.

Carbonation and conditioning go a long way in a beer's final taste, including hoppiness, taste, aroma, etc. The CO2 lifts the flavors...And bitterness mellows with time.

Read this;

Singljohn hit the nail on the head...The only problem is that you aren't seeing the beer through it's complete process BEFORE calling what is probably just green beer, an off flavor.

It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter? If that is the case, do nothing. Because nothing is wrong.

It really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

In other words, relax, your beer will be just fine, like 99.5%.

You can find more info on that in here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Just remember it will not be the same beer it is now, and you shouldn't stress what you are tasting right now.

Our beer is more resilient then most new brewers realize, and time can be a big healer. Just read the stories in this thread of mine, and see how many times a beer that someone thought was bad, turned out to be fine weeks later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I would just relax, get the beer carbed and conditioned, and then see if you truly have an issue.

Walk away from the fermenter, and slap yourself aside the head for even thinking of dumping a beer, when you don't even know you have a problem.

I guess after my first beer smelling like absolute heaven through MOST of the process, I assumed that this would be the case with most good recipes. I appreciate the info & from now on, I will not judge by the smell of the wort (I would NEVER taste it, that's just nasty). I would never dump a batch of beer or even consider it because I still have friends that think Coors light is good beer. I'll just give my bad batches to them.

I'm already getting better smells out of my fermenter & I've been able to relax quite a bit. Thanks gents!

Never compare one fermentation with another, there's too many variables involved, and no two are ever the same, even if it's the same recipe, et al. And never assume anything is wrong just because a beer is performing differently that your expectation. It's really hard to screw this up, are beer is more resiliant than most new brewers understand, and fermentation is usually ugly and stinky even when it's normal.

Never compare one fermentation with another, there's too many variables involved, and no two are ever the same, even if it's the same recipe, et al. And never assume anything is wrong just because a beer is performing differently that your expectation. It's really hard to screw this up, are beer is more resiliant than most new brewers understand, and fermentation is usually ugly and stinky even when it's normal.

Exactly. Just think about ancient brewers and their lack of technology (sanitizers, cleaners, brewing equipment, etc), yet they were able to produce beers and many of them in Europe have been around for centuries! RDWHAHB

This +100. Different yeast strains do wildly different things even if you use the same ingredients (which only happens if you are perfecting a recipe). If you change temperatures by five degrees, you can get wildly different ester profiles with even the same yeast. Trying to compare two different recipes brewed under different circumstances is like comparing apples to broccoli.

Relax, leave the beer alone until it's been bottled for a while. Before then, you just cannot tell.

Latest posts

Back