Project 10der and Mild: 10 Milds in 10 days in Month 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uh, one more "I wouldn't mind sending out more than one..."

ducks as olllllo throws keyboard cross country...

uh, unless that makes it too messy. I suppose this is my first swap so I can go either way. Whatever you folks think best.
:mug:

uh, one more "I wouldn't mind sending out more than one..."

ducks as olllllo throws keyboard cross country...

uh, unless that makes it too messy. I suppose this is my first swap so I can go either way. Whatever you folks think best.
:mug:

I know we can accomodate, but we should wait and see what this week of brewing reveals.

Hm. I can't decide what to do for hopping schedule.

.31oz Challenger 6.3% at 60 mins, .69oz Challenger at 15 mins = 16.8 IBU
.69oz Challenger at 60 mins, .31oz Challenger at 15 mins = 21.7 IBU

Both are within style. One gives more bitterness, one gives more flavor.

Hmm.

Got my malt weighed out. Getting ready to heat the water. Wound up sick, so I'm brewing this today. Yay for therapeutic brewing! (Don't worry, I won't sneeze on the wort. I promise.)

All right. It's on like Donkey Kong. Mash is underway, and as always, I nailed the temp. (Thanks BeerSmith. Your calculators rock.)

Here's the recipe I came up with. I WAS going to do a simpler, straight-forward Mild, but I had all these tiny sacks of grain with 1 or 2 oz that were just begging me to be used up.

3lb Maris Otter
2.5lb Pale 2-Row
8oz Munich
5oz Caramel 60
5oz Chocolate
4oz Coffee Malt aka Brown Malt
2oz Caramel 120
1oz Aromatic Malt
Mash at 158 for 75 minutes (I have efficiency issues, so I mash a little longer on all my recipes to compensate. Keeps me from dipping into the 50%'s. :eek:)
.05oz Challenger Mash Hops (It said it wanted hops in it. Who am I to argue? The beer knows best.)
.64oz Challenger @ 60 mins
.31oz Challenger @ 15 mins
Safale S-04

Should be 1.036 OG, 1.009 FG, 17 SRM, 21 IBU

Crush tonight...brew Saturday (4th),

Looking for smooth, malty and just at (under) 3%.

Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)

1.50 oz Williamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (10 min)

2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 159 for 40 minutes.

LOL. BierMuncher, I'm amazed our recipes are so close, right down to the 120L. Mine would've had Honey Malt but I ran out a couple months ago, and never bought any... but I bought that Coffee Malt from Austin, and hadn't given it a try yet.
n307400052_63969_9878.jpg

Just finished sparging.... gorgeous creamy chocolatey head forming on the wort.
n307400052_63971_8208.jpg

Doughing me in, now that the mash is complete.
n307400052_63970_6889.jpg

Aaaand the UPS guy just got here with my McMaster order! Yay for a Pulley for the grain mill, and more Keg O-Rings!! :)

And we're done. 5 gals pretty much right on, into the pail. Sucks that I only came out 1.033 ... but that's pretty much story of my brew house.

Smells great. I will need to keg this on the 7th or 8th, and then BMBF into bottles on Oct. 10th. (It might be the 11th, as we usually go to the bars on Friday.)

Mine is boiling right now. I'm following Jamil's recipe, given to me in chat by Beeriffic. The only hops are EKG at 60 minutes, and I mashed a little low, so I'm hopping that it's a "genuine" mild.

I'm thinking Nottingham yeast, but I've afraid of overattenuation. The only other choice I have is Windsor, though.

Updated Google Brew Calendar. Chad, did you brew on Weds?

Today. In fact, I just finished cleaning up after my brew day (10/2/08). 6 gallons of 1.037 on the nose. I was a little short after the sparge so I only went 45-50 minutes on the boil. I upped the hops a little to compensate for the lower utilization. Beersmith says I balanced it out about right, but we'll see in a week.

Here's the original recipe:
Recipe: Kitchen Staff Mild
Brewer: Chad Ward
Style: Mild
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.94 gal
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 15.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
3 lbs Ashburne Mild Malt (5.3 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
2.1 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.60 %] (60 min)
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332)

Mash @ 154° for 60 minutes.

Wyeast 1332 Nothwest ale is reportedly from Hales brewery in Portland, who got it from Gales in the UK. I used it for a Special Bitter based on the Gales recipe. I racked that over to a keg this morning and the Mild was pitched on the yeast cake. Should take off fast. My only worry is that I got much higher attenuation on the Special Bitter than I was shooting for. I've used this yeast before and got the expected 70%. The bitter I racked today came in at 1.008, for almost 80% attenuation. I've got to believe that there's a measurement error somewhere.

Yooper, I'd go with the Windsor. It seems pretty well suited to the style, especially if you've mashed a little low.

Chad

Yooper, I'd go with the Windsor. It seems pretty well suited to the style, especially if you've mashed a little low.

Chad

Well, I pitched the Nottingham and have my fingers crossed that I'll get what I want. I NEVER lose temps, but I did today! I mashed in and hit 153 perfectly, but 15 minutes later I was at 149! So, I brought it up to 152 again, but that is not what I wanted.

Hopefully, a mild is a session beer and with my grain bill, I'm hoping that it'll be right around 4% ABV. That's why I pitched the Notty over the Windsor- I didn't want too much residual sweetness, and I don't have much time!

(My grain bill is identical to yours, except I used 7 pounds Golden Promise. I also broke down and added .50 ounces EKG at ten minutes- I HAD to do it).

Hopefully, a mild is a session beer and with my grain bill, I'm hoping that it'll be right around 4% ABV...

Indeed it is.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.030 – 1.038
IBUs: 10 – 25
FG: 1.008 – 1.013
SRM: 12 – 25
ABV: 2.8 – 4.5% (most are 3.1 – 3.8%)

Like I said, I'm shooting for the lightest ABV and most flavorful version I can get.

boil is under way!

Shmeggin' thermometers! I don't trust any of 'em! GRRRrrrrrrr!

Did I hit my mash temp? I dunno. Depends which thermometer you ask! :mad:

Forgot to adjust my grist temp (70) and the ambient air here is in the lower 70's finally.
Way under my mash temp. That sucks.
Usually my grist temp is 80-90.

Brewed Yesterday fermenting away today.
Vitals:
7# MO
1# Brown Malt
6oz CarafaIII
Mashed at 155 for 60min
.75oz Goldings at 55
.25 oz Challenger at 45
.25oz Goldings at 30
Pitched on a British II yeast Cake
OG 1.035
IBU's 21.5
SRM 21

Ok as a result, I am horribly over gravity. Preboil at 1039.... Imperial Mild anyone? Might be a do-over for me, but I will see it through.

More horrors: Don't set your lighter here like this:
1005080821-feed.jpg

Or this might happen with a fireball shortly after.

1005080821a-feed.jpg

All is not lost. "Mild" originally referred to young beer that hadn't soured from long aging. It was just as strong as any other beer. In fact, Gales
Festival Mild is still brewed this way, with an OG of 1.054. You might have trouble fermenting out in time, though. Your pre-boil 1.039 puts you at, what, 1.046 post boil? Might be tricky. Are you going to give it a shot or rebrew? Or maybe just dilute it, split a 6-7 gallon batch between two fermenters and experiment with yeast?

On a historic note, in many cases Mild used to be mixed to order with strong stock ale to provide a balance of fresh and aged, soured beer. I plan on trying that out. I've got a barley wine that I brewed last Christmas. It is thick and raisiny and is just now losing some of of its alcoholic heat. It wasn't soured, but I'm still looking forward to blending with my Mild.

Chad

All is not lost. "Mild" originally referred to young beer that hadn't soured from long aging. It was just as strong as any other beer. In fact, Gales
Festival Mild is still brewed this way, with an OG of 1.054. You might have trouble fermenting out in time, though. Your pre-boil 1.039 puts you at, what, 1.046 post boil? Might be tricky. Are you going to give it a shot or rebrew? Or maybe just dilute it, split a 6-7 gallon batch between two fermenters and experiment with yeast?

On a historic note, in many cases Mild used to be mixed to order with strong stock ale to provide a balance of fresh and aged, soured beer. I plan on trying that out. I've got a barley wine that I brewed last Christmas. It is thick and raisiny and is just now losing some of of its alcoholic heat. It wasn't soured, but I'm still looking forward to blending with my Mild.

Chad

Thanks for the encouraging words Chad. It's the kind of advice I would hope to have the ability to put forth if anyone else runs into problems. RDWHAHB.

My dismay is born from the fact that I made this same beer (warts and all) 6 months ago. I mashed too low that time ouy of ignorance. This time I knew better and messed up a calculation.

I diluted so that my post boil was 1039. I'll see it through, but I've already told SWMBO that I might try and sneek in another try at this Tues or Weds with a 5 gallon batch.

One of the local guys brewed a Chocolate Imperial Mild for a homebrew competition, OG of 1057. :p

Mine smells great. I can't wait to keg it. Mmmmm.

Ok, here's my info:

5.25 gallons

7 pounds Golden Promise
8 ounces Crystal 60
6 ounces Crystal 120
4 ounces chocolate malt
2 ounces black patent

1 ounce EKG 60 min (6.2%AAU)
1/2 ounce EKG 10 min

Mashed at 153-ish due to temp problems ended up 152-ish.
Nottingham yeast.
OG 1.041
FG 1.010
IBUs 26
Color 21 SRM
Fermented at 66 degrees.

The taste is, well, ok. Obviously still young, at 5 days old. I'm glad I went ahead and added the EKG at 10 minutes (not in Jamil's recipe). No yeasty-ness noted, so I think the Notty was a good choice. I thought about a nice liquid British ale yeast, but thought the Notty would be quick and it was.

I'll be packaging this up on Sunday night (day 10) and send out Monday.

Done and done.

Hit 1.037 right on the money.

Smells like a mocha. Fermentation was slowing already this morning (36 hours).

I'll give it 5 days in primary.
1-day in secondary with some gelatin.
4 days crash cooled and gassed up.
Ship sometime mid week next week.

Sorry to hear about your troubles olllllo.

I had similar issues only I am not certain where exactly my mash temp was. I ended up only a couple gravity points high but I have no idea how fermentable my wort will be. Lousy Thermometers. So, hopefully it isn't too thin.

Anyway, it chugged along fiercely all yesterday. This morning the airlock is pretty much all quiet. Temp dropped a bit here but I believe it is mostly over the bulk of activity.

Here is my recipe.
Quarryman's Mild

5 # MO
1 # Biscuit (or is it actually CaraAmber? Stupid LHBS!)
12 oz. Crystal 60L
4 oz. Chocolate
4 oz. Belgian Special B

15 g Goldings (5.0% AA) @ 60 Minutes
8 g Goldings (5.0% AA) @ 30 Minutes

60 Minute Single Step infusion @ 155F (what it really was I dunno)

90 Minute boil

SafAle s-04 Fermented @ 68F (temp has now dropped to 64F getting cold here)

OG 1.035 (target was 1.033)
Expected IBU 17
Expected ABV 3.2%

My efficiency seems to have shot up 5 points this brew. Must be the new drill on my mill?

Been drinking my last batch brewed early Sept. and it is as tasty as I remember. Hopefully this one comes out just as well. First batch I brewed of this was last winter. Took 2nd place in my local homebrew Comp. in the brown category.

Just did mine yesterday:

2.5 # 2-row
3 # MO
1 # Pilsen (ran out of 2-row and MO)
0.65 # Pale Chocolate Malt
0.25 # Caramel 40
0.25 # Caramel 120
0.25 # Clear Candi Sugar

0.65 oz. EKG 6.2% 60 min 18 IBU

WLP022 Essex Ale

Hit 1.038 for my OG, pitched it onto a yeast cake of WLP022. Should be bubbling nicely when I get home.

Well I racked to secondary with gelatin today and it went from 1.032 to 1.010 so it still has some body and alot of Fuggles taste. I hope to keg this Wed/Thurs but I'm going to Atlanta for a wedding Friday, so I'll send it out Monday when I get home.

Checked mine tonight it was at 1.015 with activity really slowed. I figure I'll rack tomorrow morning for a crash cool.
However.........
The sample was really nutty. I think I may have overdone the brown malt. It's dark and nutty (think goose island hexnut) and posibly not quite right for the style, but the sample tasted very good all the same.
That said, I'm having trouble with the name, my gutter mind keeps taking "nuts" and "nutty" to a place that I no one wants to drink...

Mine finished out yesterday but I let it sit an extra day on the yeast, 'cuz, you know, I'm all about teh quality :rolleyes:

Came in at 1.010 (3.5%abv) with really interesting roasted & nutty notes. I think this is going to be pretty darn good. I borrowed a page from Biermuncher's playbook and added a pack (1/4oz) of dissolved gelatin today before moving the primary to the fridge to cool overnight. That should give me at least some clearing before I rack it to a keg for carbing. I'll probably let it cool & settle all day tomorrow (Thursday) and keg it Friday morning. I'll set it at about 30psi and let it carbonate over the weekend. I'll bottle and ship on Monday, 10/12.

How is everybody else's Mild progressing?

Chad

I racked mine to a keg yesterday and gassed it to seal then placed it in the fridge. I'm going to hit it with some high gas tonight 30psi and let it carb through the Saturday. On Saturday, I'll purge the head space and reduce it to serving pressure to let it re-settle. On Sunday I'll draw some "samples" until it looks clear, and get it bottled and shipped out.

Was there ever an agreement on the quanity to ship?

Dag nabbit. I still haven't kegged mine.... been too busy with life and stuff. I'll be kegging it tonight, but it's clear it's not going to allow me as long to carb as I hoped. (I should've had this done on Sunday but was exhausted and vegged out in front of the tv all day long. There was a Beauty And The Geek marathon, so I watched the entire season.) So... I guess... keg tonight, stick into fridge, apply gas...... Then try to bottle on Saturday. Hope it's carbed by then. I really wanted 4 full days for carbing. I should've gotten my butt in gear.

Beautifully crystal clear & on the gas as of this morning. I need to use gelatin more often. Worked like a charm. I've got my BMBF assembled and can't wait to try it out.

Deathbrewer & Greenwoodrover, your beer will go out Monday morning.

Chad

All right... I'm stretching the rules slightly, and I apologize profusely for this. It is now, right now, day 10 for me, and I haven't kegged this brew yet. I was wrapped up in running errands & getting everything ready for the Oktoberfest Stroke Benefit last night.

The benefit was a huge success, our homebrew club served 20 gallons of homebrew (10 were mine - Centennial SMaSH and Vanilla Porter), and ran out of beer right at the end of the event. Now that everything's packed back up and over with, I can finally finish the Mild.

I will be kegging this tonight, and force carbing overnight/tomorrow daytime. I'll probably give it a shake hourly tomorrow morning, and strive to have it carbed by 2 or 3pm, and in bottles by 5pm. That way I, too, can box on Sunday and ship on Monday.

Milling my grain tonight and brewing tomorrow.

I've been rather uninspired recipe-wise lately so I'm doing Jamil's version w/ Yoop's modification noted above (10 minute addition of EKG). Have just enough 120 to make this happen- I should have checked my inventory a bit more closely. Oh well. Live and learn.

I think 5 days in primary, 1 in secondary w/ gelatin, then crash cool and on the gas. Out the door 20th-21st.

EDIT: Looking at my hop stash, I've got both EKG and Fuggles. Choices, choices.

Latest posts

Back