I love DME...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rev2010 said:
I have, we all have, and so far I've only seen late additions recommended for LME, not DME. And the primary reason I've seen that listed for LME is because LME is a thick goop that will rest on the bottom of the pot and can thereby scorch and caramelize more easily - makes sense to me.

Rev.

+1. The late addition JP talks about in his book is for LME. When JP nicely walk the reader thru their first extract batch, he asks to add the DME in the beginning of the boil.

And I do have much respect for a guy like JP, because his book is great and he is quite a nice guy. I once emailed him a question and was surprised to find an answer a few hours later. Not to say he is immune to mistakes, even the experts are, but he does a good job.

Its from How To Brew edition 3. If you guys dont want to believe it, thats fine. Its just John Palmer... what does he know? And there are a ton of people who add extract at the end of the boil. Search around the forum, you will find big threads about it.

Adding extract late helps with hop utilization and with the issue of darkening and scorching the wort. I can't find anything about protein denaturing except for posts saying "I heard this or that" without quotes.

I said I would post the link to the Brew Strong where he talk about proteins and boiling extract. I can't do it at this moment because I have to listen to the podcasts to find it.

SwampassJ said:
Adding extract late helps with hop utilization and with the issue of darkening and scorching the wort. I can't find anything about protein denaturing except for posts saying "I heard this or that" without quotes.

Agree! But how come no joke this time? Men, you are quite funny!

mixedbrewer said:
I said I would post the link to the Brew Strong where he talk about proteins and boiling extract. I can't do it at this moment because I have to listen to the podcasts to find it.

Here is what I think. This ounce dead thread was surprisingly becoming interesting and educative and now you are trying to ruin it? :-o

• This is a forum. Make a statement and expect to have a "lively" discussion ensue. If I state that I like chocolate and pose the question "why do people frown on chocolate?", I'm sure all of the vanilla lovers will weigh in.
  • Just because they are vanilla loving fools...that doesn't make their discussion off-topic.
  • Keep discussions pointed at the topic...not at each other.

Take a breather. Have a beer. Try again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back