chloramine in water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewsh

Reaction score
I believe I have alot of chloramine in my city water. I know it does not boil off like chlorine does in the brew pot. I have some campden tablets, but am wondering the best way to take care of the issue. Would a water filter be a better route? I don't want to have to buy 6 gallons of water for every batch. I believe this could be the reason for my off flavored batches.

So a quarter tablet crushed into 5 gallons of water then. In a bucket preferably im guessing.

Correct. 15 minutes is all it takes.
Chlorine gas will gas out overnight. Chloramine will never gas out, but campden tablets will bind it in 15 minutes or less.

Do we know what the common off-flavors are that we get from chloramine?

Chloramine make beers taste very astringent. I use both a water filter and campden tabs to treat my water when brewing. Most inexpensive filter will not remove chloramine but I figure it can't hurt with the flavor overall.

I get the astringent taste and strong alcohol aromatics. That could be my problem.

Walmart sells reverse osmosis water for 37 cents per gal from the Culligan Machine. I have heard that other grocery stores have it also.

As far as I know R/O is the only filter style that can remove chloramines. If they are sent through activated carbon filters only, I think it results in ammonia.

I use one of these. Per an engineer at my local water utility:

This product is widely available and should be a certified product. It can remove at least 95% of chloramines, up to 99%. So it is considered very efficient in removing chloramines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back