First All Grain Brew Day - learning the equpiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorb

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brewing session today and it went really well. I need to spend some time working out my water volumes a little better for each step and my mash tun needs a little tweaking - otherwise it was a great success!

I used a cast iron camping stove (this thread), 10 gallon Gott cooler mash tun, and a counterflow chiller.

I'm trying to make a schwarzbier at 1.052. Post boil I only had 4 gallons left and measured 1.042. I boiled the last gallon of water with a half pound of DME, cooled it and added to the fermenter. I ended up with 5 gallons of 1.046 wort, short of my target OG but not too far away.

Obviously my efficiency was lower than I expected. I had a mash tun malfunction that probably contributed. My SS braid was bunched up and needs to be shortened a little before the next brew day. I probably should have used more sparge water too. If nothing else I would have had 5 gallons left after the boil.

Pics attached!

IMG_20140111_094101_749.jpg

IMG_20140111_094618_059.jpg

IMG_20140111_102402_990.jpg

IMG_20140111_113603_784.jpg

IMG_20140111_172819_842.jpg

mash tun malfuntion, I love it, see any nip?

LOL

I have seen guys put some coiled wire inside the SS to keep it open, that might help a lot

also, I do a quick stir and then recircle to set the grain it helps prevent channeling,

good luck

Ha! I use my maverick to monitor temps in the cooler too!

Congrats on your first AG brew! The process will start coming a lot more naturally.

The stove was great. 6 gallons went from mash temps to a rolling boil in about 10 minutes.

I brewed on my equipment again today and it went much smoother. I hit my temps and volumes and eventually my target OG!

Great to hear things are progressing in your brewing abilities. It is a great hobby. If you can bake a cake, you can make beer. When all else fails, follow the directions. ;)

Latest posts

Back