Can I do all grain, experiment batches in a 2 gal MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
How would I use this 2 gallon mini MLT to experiment with small all grain batches? See mini MLT here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/making-2-gallon-mini-mlt-19413/

I could only find one vague reference to such an endeavor in either the thread posted above or the original thread that spawned it (I forget which one). I have very little brewing experience and no all grain brewing experience, but I'd like to experiment with some gluten free grains and this sounds like a good idea.

Assuming I'm working with 4 lbs. of grain, would it just be a matter of draining the wort, simulating a mash out by pouring the wort into some boiling water in my brewpot and continue forward? Should I sparge to improve efficiency or will I be watering it down too much? If I do sparge, would you recommend using only a 1/2 gallon, 1 gallon, 1.5 gallons, etc.?

Do it just as you would any other all-grain just in smaller quantities. 2.5 gallons would probably be easier math just divide a recipe by 2.

How you choose to do all-grain is up to you, I would suggest batch sparging, its what I do and I find it to be quite easy. The simple method I use is

Mash your grains for an hour (adding hot water to the grains so they soak)
Drain into kettle (volerauf to remove sediment)
Add sparge water to MLT
Drain into kettle (volerauf to remove sediment)
You can split up the sparge water into 2 batches or more if your MLT can't handle it all.
Boil sweet wort that is in the kettle, add hops and continue brewing as normal.

Beersmith or another software program are the best ways to determine the right amounts of water for mash and sparge.

*This is my method only and its simplified in this post.
You should read a guide on how to do all-grain brewing before you try it so you have the steps written down ahead of time. John Palmer - How to Brew is a great resource but there are also guides on this board that have pictures along with them so you can see how people do it. 2 gallon batches should be fun to start with, less lifting and you might be able to not have to use a wort chiller if you can put your kettle in a sink full of ice water.

Back