Splitting a 22oz bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I think this is a dumb question, but I still need to ask.

I have a 22oz bottle of craft beer that I want to open, drink a glass of and pour the remainder into a 12oz bottle to cap and retain the carbonation.

Stupid?

Can/should I pour my glass and recap the 22oz instead?

You'll be better off recapping the 22oz unless you have a way to get a smooth flow from the big bottle to the little. You'll lose a good chunk of carbonation, but it's your best bet short of buying special equipment.

Do you plan on drinking the remainder soon? If so, just use a wine stopper in your 22oz bottle. Those usually hold for me for up to about 4 days.

What is the beer?

It's a Rogue Dead Guy Ale.
I want to share a glass with my wife one night, and with a friend like 2 weeks later.

Oh well :(
Looks like I'll have to drink it and buy another one (assuming I like it - never had it)

Oh well :(
Looks like I'll have to drink it and buy another one (assuming I like it - never had it)

It's not bad. Many love it, but I find it to be overrated. It's tasty, don't get me wrong, but I can tell you I've never ordered it at a restaurant or bar.

I've been looking for a sweet, not hoppy, not bitter, low alcohol beer to drink with my wife.
Dead Guy is this weekend's attempt. Next weekend will be a dunkelweisse sampling (Ayinger, Franziskaner, and at least one other)

Maybe try to get your hands on Scythe and Sickle. It's a Biere de Garde by Ommegang. Very tasty.

What's your definition of "low alcohol?" That one is 5.8%

I'd like it to be around 4%, but it seems like all the malty beers are much higher.
Low alcohol is the last concern on the list.

I've only had one biere de garde. It was nice, but had some of that saison funk to it. She aint going for that!

Stone's levitation is a great session beer with great flavor, aroma, and low abv.
That's a 45 IBU beer!
I'm thinking the Dead Guy is going to be too hoppy for her. I want something that is unbalanced to the malt side, like some of the hop bombs are to the hop side.

That's a 45 IBU beer!
I'm thinking the Dead Guy is going to be too hoppy for her. I want something that is unbalanced to the malt side, like some of the hop bombs are to the hop side.

I'm telling you... Look for a Biere de Garde. They tend to be malty, slightly sweet and tart, highly carbonated, moderate alcohol content. Sounds spot on.

My SWMBO wasn't as opposed to Dead Guy as I thought she'd be. Don't think she'd want any more, though :p

That's a 45 IBU beer!

Don't be sacred by the IBU number. A lot of those are due to late hops so they are giving a lot of flavor but not a big bitterness contribution. This is a great beer.

I had an Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Scottish Ale not too long ago. It was a bit sweet for my tastes, but it sounds like exactly what you're describing.

Latest posts

Back