Easy solution for dry-hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I was trying to rig up a way to hang a bag in my keg for dry-hopping, and came up with this easy solution. Take a stainless hose clamp and tighten it around the inside of the poppet and stick the sting from the bag between them. Done and done. I'm sure i'm not the first to do this, but i thought i'd post it up in case someone else was looking for a fix that doesn't involve buying a new lid with a welded hook.
2000450137_large.jpg

Good idea. I rely on dental floss tied to a SS ball with hops in it. I then run the floss up through the corny lid and close it. It dose not create a leak path for the co2 but I often worry about it unless I check it for leaks. Your idea is better and cleaner.

Good idea. I rely on dental floss tied to a SS ball with hops in it. I then run the floss up through the corny lid and close it. It dose not create a leak path for the co2 but I often worry about it unless I check it for leaks. Your idea is better and cleaner.

I've done this for the last few, but the last two I've done have developed leaks past the floss. Very slow leaks, (and I don't use keg lube), but leaks nonetheless....I love this hose clamp idea....

I've used a hose clamp like that and secured ss wire to the clamp. It works well and is way cheaper than the lids morebeer sells. Make sure you get a fully stainless hose clamp, though, many are only ss bands but the screw is galvanized.

I was thinking of doing this but then decided instead of floss, etc., I was going to put a little hole in my gas dip tube to 'hang' the stainless tea ball from. What'dya think?

I was going to put a little hole in my gas dip tube to 'hang' the stainless tea ball from. What'dya think?

Good idea, but if you put a hole in the gas tube, won't it leak:drunk::mug:j/k that sounds ideal. I was thinking of using a paper coffee filter and tying the hops in a bag, sort of like a teabag. What'dya think?

No, I meant on the bottom in the inside, not near the o-ring. Just a little punch hole.

Yeah, I guess you could use anything, cheesecloth, silkscreen, etc.

Something I was also thinking of experimenting with is putting a magnet in the tea ball and sticking the tea ball to the lid/top or something so I can put it in during primary and drop it in the liquid when I want all in a closed system w/ no oxygen getting in. But I don't know if it would be either good for the hop flavor or what magnets would be safe to use within the liquid (I guess I could vacuum seal the magnet, though, or buy a rubber coated one).

Back