Pitching rates for mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
I just finished reading the yeast and fermentation section in the compleat mead maker. Is the pitching rate for a mead similar to an ale? I use Jamil's pitching rate calculator for my beers. Should I do the same with my meads? Thanks in advance.

You could probably do that. However, I've never pitched more than 1 sachet of dry yeast for a mead, including pitching higher ABV ale yeast (S-33) in some of my meads.

I aerate with pure O2, pitch, and after the lag time for the yeast to grow to a good colony size, fermentation goes ballistic. the lag time is maybe 24 hours

The typical pitch rate would be 1 gram per gallon for ADY. Since we normally aerate (or oxygenate like Malkore) you can actually get away with less, but since a packet of yeast costs all of about $1, why be stingy with the yeast?

For high gravity batches (like 1.130 or above), or some difficult fermentation conditions, there is data that support a pitch rate of 2 grams per gallon.

Back