Dublin Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photobond

Reaction score
Had a few requests for this recipe:

~12% ABV

Per 5 Gal:

5 Can Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade (12 oz.)
14 lbs Raw Wildflower Honey
2 1/4 large lemon, peeled
5 1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups brown sugar
1 package Lalvin 71b-1122
1 Part nutrient/2 Parts energizer blend
Spring water to 5 gal

3/4 tsp of the blend immediately after pitching the yeast
3/4 tsp of the blend 24 hours after fermentation begins
3/4 tsp of the blend 48 hours after fermentation begins
3/4 tsp of the blend after 30% of the sugar has been depleted

Rack when needed

Add 4-6 months of PATIENCE ;)

:tank:

What makes this "Dublin" lemonade?

Have thought of adding 1 tsp. of Irish Moss?

Irish moss lol. It's a 'dublin' because of the origin of the recipe. The canned lemonade was originally just lemonade, but I got the recipe from an Irish relative, no points for guessing where he lives. They seem to like ginger in every form of booze over there, (insert "ginger" jokes here) :D

It sounds like a decent recipe, but I'm having problems decyphering it a bit.

Here, lemonade is usually a lemon flavoured soda/pop type drink, so I'm not sure what a local equivalent would be of the "5 Can Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade (12 oz.)" might be.

Plus, the "2 1/4 large lemon, peeled" ? is that 2 and a quarter large peeled lemons ? or 2 quarters of a peeled large lemon ?

Sorry if that sounds like I'm being thick, but as ever, it's one of those "2 nations separated by a common language" things........

Plus I'd struggle anyway. I would never use that powdered crap that they call ground ginger. Grated fresh ginger root yes, but I only use whole spices as they're so much more controllable for flavouring, than ground/powdered stuff.

Any clarification you can offer would be excellent......

Minute Maid is the brand of juice. Basically a frozen lemon juice concentrate.

-That's right. It's a canned, frozen lemonade mix. I have made the recipe with 'real' lemonade, and then I worked out the amounts of juice/sugar to get the equivalent in frozen cans. -This is just an easier way to get the flavor base.

Bloke- as for English-to-English conversations, yes, even getting this recipe worked out from a family member in the UK was TOUGH lol. But, you are spot on about the ginger. Fresh is the BEST, but ground, dried ginger is more readily available to the masses over here. The lemon info is 2 whole and another quarter of peeled lemons. I hope this helps clarify what I have found to be a delightful summer mead. Truly a taste of the warmer months, chilled or at room temp, and a great way to enjoy a hot day!

Back