triclamp heatstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugaboo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the parts list:
brewershardware: 2" ferrule- 4.50 x2
1.5" cap- 3
2" clamp- 7
2" gasket-1.20
mcmasters: 3/4" ss tube- 8989K829- 17.20
alum. cord grip-8302K151-12.50

other stores: 1" nps locknut or 1" spud- either is around $6
1/2" half coupler- 2.50

That's a total of $58.40. I had a locknut and a spud already. Chose the locknut because it is made to recieve an element and my spud had bad threads and would not allow the element to screw in completely. I have a HLT with a spud on it and it works fine but this spud not so much. Regardless a spud would make a better fit on the ferrule and would look nicer though, but it also would stick into the inside of the heatstick and make it a little more cramped for wiring.

Thanks to airbalancer for the original idea. I only changed his plans to have a stick with only one clamp and to make it cheaper. Thanks to my welding teacher for doing all the work. I still have to solder a ground bolt in and finish wiring. Forgot to bring in my ground bolt when he put the cap on.

004.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

Nice work.

I thought I was the only one who takes equipment pics with his bare Hobbit feet in them. :p

You TIG'd a 1" locknut to a 2" ferrule? Nice.

I like the triclamp element connection.

Any reason why you TIG'd the locknut to the ferrule rather than simply buying the triclamp element adapter from brewershardware?

EDIT: never mind. Took another look at the finished product. I understand now. Continue.

You TIG'd a 1" locknut to a 2" ferrule? Nice.

I like the triclamp element connection.

I didn't do it. Just started to learn tig and we're only using aluminum so far. Teach did it. Just tacked at the corners of the locknut, which line up exactly to the outside edge of the ferrule. Then it took only one pass with rod to fill the gap all other welds were fused. Eveything was purged with argon so the welds are uncontaminated.

Back