SOB's PLC eRIG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
So I upgraded to an eBK using a lot of info from the Kal build. I did my wet test today with the first brew tomorrow. Below are pics and the list of "freebies" from various friends, co-workers and vendors.

HMI control is using FTViewME on my laptop which will eventually (hopefully) be on a stand alone touchscreen as soon as I can get one free\cheap.

Next step is to integrate the RTD I have then eventually turn it into a eHERMS. I'll keep the updates coming...

Freebies (the 2nd brew is for them):
Hoffman NEMA 4 Enclosure (16"x20"x8")
Sub panel (had to cut to size)
DIN rail, Terminal blocks, Copper bus bar
2x 40A SSRs
various wiring (scrap from panel shop)
SLC500 PLC and I/O cards (came with 16 slot rack and other cards, purchased 4 slot rack)
2x Temperature Transmitters (only one shown)

*Disclaimer* I am well aware that not everything in these pics are completely "to code" but...I don't care. I am safe and, well, code doesn't apply. Copy with caution and if you ever feel unsafe or have questions error to the side of caution and call an electrician.

That is super-sexy ! Not sure what code you're worried about, looks very well done in my book. Love your conduits, outdoor boxes and such. Doody cycle is quite important as well :)

Thanks, man. There are little things that some ppl (especially round here) can fret about with my system. Not really that "bad" but wanted to put it out there before a huge discussion started. Plus, you gotta mind the "Dooty" cycle...you never know when it's coming back around!

What io card did you get on the plc and what cpu.

500 series are cheap on ebay but software cost a lot, how do you program it, from a soft job related ?

Does the 500 cpu is able to talk to the pc with only a straight serial cable or do you need some kind of special cable ?

Click and brew! Nice!

I wonder if Home Depot is aware the percentage of their round coolers that are purchased for beer brewing? I have the same cooler in mind. :)

Back