New e-Setup and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omockler

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got done setting up my new e-System this weekend and then quickly brewed up three batches to try and re-fill the pipeline :mug:
Here's a quick pic from testing out the elements in the HLT and the BK.
I owe a lot to everyone else on this board posting their builds. My build probably would have never happened if it wasn't for the inspiration I found here. My first two batches on the new system went off pretty much without a hitch and I'm super glad to be able brew inside now.

I did run into some trouble on my third batch and I have some questions. During the boil the paint strainer bag on my hop spider got caught on the element and burned a little. It looks like I got a little bit of scorched wort on the element as well. Do you think that the hob bag could have blocked the flow of cooling liquid to the element and caused this to happen? Is this a problem anyone else has had?
I tasted a little bit of the hydrometer sample and the beer seemed to taste fine now, so that batch might not be a loss but it would be nice to get this figured out so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

20120406_192846.jpg

Cool setup. I don't think I have anything to add about the hop spider other than to try to keep the bag from touching the element.

I guess I should add a little detail about my build too, I took ideas from a bunch of different builds already out there so there isn't anything too ground breaking.

2 5500w camcos
Auber PID
Chineese SSR
Some sweet Ebay RTD's
These power connectors
And these panel connectors
Bulkheads and sight glasses from Bobby_M

I built the control panel in a toolbox that I got for free, hopefully I can upgrade to something a little "bling-ier" in the future with some nice illuminated switches but this makes beer for now. The element enclosures are a copy from Kal, but I did't have the tool budget so they don't look quite as nice. I lucked out and got a free masterflex peristaltic pump from my father in law. It is super nice to have a self priming pump, but the flow rate could be a little better. I guess beggars can't be choosers tho right. ;)

Overall I am really happy with everything so far. I still have some finishing touches and organization to take care of, but like I said it makes beer for now. I also still need to finish off the ventilation. I was thinking about copying Lucky_Chicken's hood but after pricing out 6" PVC I'll probably bite the bullet and run the vent out the side of the house this week.

Here is a couple more pictures as well as some other projects I managed to sneak in while doing this: a stir plate and a keg washer.

Let me know if you have any questions or have any ideas about the burned hop bag. :mug:

20120409_185839.jpg

20120409_190059.jpg

20120409_190343.jpg

20120409_190357.jpg

Latest posts

Back