Heating Element w/ Stovetop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan on adding a 1500w heating element to my keggle to assist in my stovetop AG brewing. Do I need to be concerned about heat transfer from my gas stove to the element? I plan on using a weldless install kit seen here:

http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts

Eventually I plan on adding a second 1500w element and go all electric, but I'm starting with one due to my budget. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Since you say keggle I reckon you got some pretty good overhang on your stove burner. Just don't put the element over one of the exhaust slots on the skirt and I bet you'd be fine. Maybe do a test and see if there's a lot of heatwash on the sides that'd be on the cord.

I started doing 10 gallon electric brewing by adding a 1650 element to my brew pot and using the element plus my electric stove top for heat. It worked great for a while then I realized I was putting so much more steam In the air that all the cabinet doors would be dripping by the time I was done. This was what finally moved my off the stove top and on-to my own brew stand in the basement.

I should mention that I already to 5 gallon batches on the stove top with the keggle straddling two burners - I'm just looking to improve my boil. Do you think the addition of a 1500 watt element would create that much more steam than two burners?

More boil will create more steam.

In my case I had a problem partly because the way my kitchen is layed out. A friend of mine has a more open kitchen. I sold him the equipment I used to use on my stove top and he only gets a lot of condensation on the cabinets right above his stove.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I know you were using an electric stove, but do you have any insight for how high up to place the element?

I mounted a 120V element as low in the pot as I could and I followed these instructions. I bought everything but the stainless steel nut from LOWES, I believe I even bough the step bit I used to drill the holes from LOWES.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-a-water-tank-heating-element-in-a-Polar/
My only complaint is it took two of us to get the element tight enough to not leak. My buddy would hold the nut on the inside with a big adjustable wrench while I tigtened the element from the outside with a water heater element socket, a ratchet and a pipe on the handle for leverage. We tightened the nut 4 times before it finally stopped leaking.

I kept the element plugged in during the entire brew and I'd change the boil with the stove eye. He uses it the same way but his stove eye only has 4 settings - off, low, medium & high. He starts off on high then flips his stove to low with the element still plugged in.

Sounds good, I appreciate the replies! I'll be sure to post back here when I get them installed.

Latest posts

Back