Auber PID SWA-2451 Experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
For those that have used SWA-2451 with the built-in timer, how has it worked out for you?

Is it possible for the device to trigger an alarm based upon the timer and the temperature output simultaneously (e.g., trigger the alarm after 60 minutes, but also trigger if the temperature exceeds 156F, and if I reset the alarm based upon the temperature trigger, still trigger based upon the timer)? From the description, it looks like it can be set for one or the other, but not both at the same time. Thanks.

I picked one of these up to control my boil kettle thinking it would more convenient than using my phone as the timer... But now I'm not so sure. I will report back after I use it next weekend.

Also, I haven't tried wiring an alarm to the pid.......

I just bought 2 of these but haven't completely thought through how I'm going to wire them up. So long as they alarm when the timer expires and I can easily reset them, then I think that will work.

Any others have experience with this PID w/ built-in timer? Can you take a shot at answering my questions in the original post? Thanks.

Why not ask Auber? The owner is great at responding to tech questions I had.

I looked at PIDs with timers built in for my setup I didn't see how this could work very well.

The PID you mention only has the 2 values displayed like a regular PID (the temp you set and the temp it's currently measuring). You wouldn't see your timer counting down at all. Yes, it has a timer built in but it's likely more meant for taking certain actions after certain delays/time periods where the operator (a) doesn't need to see a countdown, and (b) it doesn't have to be changed (since changing it on this one doesn't seem overly intuitive).

Kal

I read through the manual and started some testing with a SWA-2451 last night. Here's how I plan on using mine.

1. As a timer and temp controller for my RIMS system. I set the desired mash temp and the timer for the desired time. When the set temperature is reached the timer starts counting down. In this mode the current temperature and the time remaining is on the display. When the timer expires the heat is cut and the alarm activates. With this configuration, if I'm doing something else when the timer expires the mash will stop heating and alert me that it's time to drain the MLT and start my sparge. This is a tested configuration and works just fine.

2. As a timer for my BK for hop additions. My plan is to use the timer with manual mode, but I haven't tested this configuration yet. I'll have more information on this configuration soon.

2. As a timer for my BK for hop additions. My plan is to use the timer with manual mode...
See my post above yours. How would you know when to add hops? The PID only shows 2 numbesr: The set temp (or % duty cycle when running in manual mode) and the temp it's currently at.

A countdown timer's great because you just add hops when needed by watching the countdown. This PID/timer combo doesn't show a countdown for you. So how do you know when to add? You'd have to program it, wait for the alarm to go off, add the hops, and then reprogram it for the next hop addition. Not only would that be a royal pain (IMHO) but there would be (albeit minor) delays causing you to boil longer than you should.

Kal

See my post above yours. How would you know when to add hops? The PID only shows 2 numbesr: The set temp (or % duty cycle when running in manual mode) and the temp it's currently at.
Kal

The countdown timer (UPT=1) shows when setting INT=1. I'm not sure in manual mode if it's the same as the 2451. I will test that out.

Tested it out and it does function as the 2451 does when in manual mode. I have to consider options here.

A countdown timer's great because you just add hops when needed by watching the countdown. This PID/timer combo doesn't show a countdown for you.
Kal

It does show a countdown. Timer on the bottom set for 10s. When the PV hit SV+HY1 the countdown is triggered.

photo-1-1.jpg

Ah! You're absolutely right ... time can be displayed instead of the set value. Sorry about that. From the manual:

"SV display: Indicates the time when timer is used. If timer is deactivated, it indicates the set temperature (SV). In manual control mode, a “H” is displayed on the most left digit to indicate number is for percentage of output (%)"

I'd probably spend the extra $28 and buy the separate timer & PID just to make it easier to use. You'd always see all 4 numbers (instead of 2) and you get twice as many buttons. Less confusion. YMMV.

Kal

I re-read this:

1. As a timer and temp controller for my RIMS system. I set the desired mash temp and the timer for the desired time. When the set temperature is reached the timer starts counting down. In this mode the current temperature and the time remaining is on the display. When the timer expires the heat is cut and the alarm activates. With this configuration, if I'm doing something else when the timer expires the mash will stop heating and alert me that it's time to drain the MLT and start my sparge. This is a tested configuration and works just fine.
Why cut the heat automatically when the mash is over? There's no harm in mashing longer (you'll just get better conversion). I would just have an alarm go off when the mash is done but not change the heat.

Normally at the end of mash you want to raise the temp to mashout. If you cut the heat, the temp will slowly drop over time. If you're delayed in getting to the setup to go to mashout you'll have to heat more.

If anything maybe have the temp go UP to mashout when the time runs out instead?

Just food for thought!

Kal

I have this pid. I have not been able to get the timer to work during manual mode. Once in manual mode, the only display is the manual setting and the process value.

I re-read this:

Why cut the heat automatically when the mash is over? There's no harm in mashing longer (you'll just get better conversion). I would just have an alarm go off when the mash is done but not change the heat.

Normally at the end of mash you want to raise the temp to mashout. If you cut the heat, the temp will slowly drop over time. If you're delayed in getting to the setup to go to mashout you'll have to heat more.

If anything maybe have the temp go UP to mashout when the time runs out instead?

Just food for thought!

Kal

Kal,

Thanks for the food for thought. I went back through the manual again and noted that INT parm controls the function of the timer and relay.

These are not categorized in the manual, but I've added some headers to help me see the differences.

0= Timer disabled

Single Timer modes with Heat Control Options
1= Timer starts when temp reached. When set time is reached, controller stops heating and timer (alarm) relay pulls in.
** This is what I have it set to.

2= Timer starts when temp reached. When set time is reached, timer (alarm) relay pulls in and controller continues to heat.
** This would be the better setting, as you suggested earlier.

3= Timer starts when temp reached. Timer relay pulls in when timer starts and drops out when it reaches the set time.
** I'm not sure how you might use this except to maybe run a light indicating the circuit is active

Independent Timer Functions
4= Timer function is independent of temp controller. After powered up or reset, the relay pulls in when time reaches the set time.
** This function could be used for the timer for the BK for hop additions.

5= Timer function is independent of temp controller. After powered up or reset, the relay drops out (opens) when time reaches the set time.
** Similar to #3 above?

Dual Timer Functions
6= Timer function is independent of temp controller. After powered up or reset, the relay T1 drops out (opens) then T2 pulls in when time reaches the set time. (Dual timer cycling mode)

7= Timer function is independent of temp controller. After powered up or reset, the relay T1 drops out (opens) then T2 pulls in when time reaches the set time. (Dual timer no cycling mode)

8= Timer function is independent of temp controller. After powered up or reset, the relay T1 pulls in (closes) then T2 drops out (open) when time reaches the set time (Dual timer cycling mode)

The dual timer functions could possibly be used for timing hop additions, except that there is no alarm to externalize when the 2nd timer expires - just a light on the front of the PID that turns on.

With this additional information I'll probably use INT=2 for the RIMS PID and INT=4 for the BK. But I don't think this timer is active when in Manual Mode. A note to Auber might get me squared away.

One thing extra I found out is that if you start the timer then change to manual mode, the timer is still running. When you go back to automatic mode the timer's current value is then displayed and the timer is stopped.

For instance, I set the timer to count up from 0 to 30 seconds then put it in manual mode. When the 30 seconds was reached the alarm did not go off. This is what everyone else has stated so no surprise there. However, when I changed modes back to manual I noted the timer had 42 seconds on it. So the timer circuit is still running, but the checking for the timer expiration and ability to trigger the alarm relay are deactivated.

I am thinking of using this, but am wondering if I am creating some additional unneeded work. I currently use beersmith software which has timers built in for additions etc. If I just keep doing it this way, I don't need extra hardware...am I missing something?

I am thinking of using this, but am wondering if I am creating some additional unneeded work. I currently use beersmith software which has timers built in for additions etc. If I just keep doing it this way, I don't need extra hardware...am I missing something?

My suggestion is to get the other Auber PID 2352 and use the savings to buy other beer stuff. Use the extra $12+ on the Auber SSR, I have had issues with the cheaper SSRs on Ebay.

I have found that using the timer on my phone works just as well, if not better, as I can walk away and still have the timer with me. I have not used the timer on Beersmith for the same reason.

My suggestion is to get the other Auber PID 2352 and use the savings to buy other beer stuff. Use the extra $12+ on the Auber SSR, I have had issues with the cheaper SSRs on Ebay.

I have found that using the timer on my phone works just as well, if not better, as I can walk away and still have the timer with me. I have not used the timer on Beersmith for the same reason.

Yep! That's the route I am going to go.

For those that have used SWA-2451 with the built-in timer, how has it worked out for you?

Is it possible for the device to trigger an alarm based upon the timer and the temperature output simultaneously (e.g., trigger the alarm after 60 minutes, but also trigger if the temperature exceeds 156F, and if I reset the alarm based upon the temperature trigger, still trigger based upon the timer)? From the description, it looks like it can be set for one or the other, but not both at the same time. Thanks.

Mine sucks..wouldn't recommend it unable to get it to At..used system twice brewed two beers, ready to try a third and now it won't allow the element in HLT to turn on...never was able to get it programed correctly, over shot my temps both brews, other PID w/ out timer works great...this one might just be a dud need to contact Auber and see? Good luck....I will be using only my timer on phone and iPad...

Old thread resurrected.... Yes, I have come to the conclusion that the timer functionality on the unit is less than ideal, so I would go in a different direction, either with a separate timer, or no timer at all in the control panel.

I have 2 of these and they work just fine. Might just be bum equipment from Auber. I say ask them for help and if they still don't work right then ask for replacements.

Back