All SS heating elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tym3

Reaction score
I purchased a 4500W 240V ultra low watt density element that we were planning on running at 120V. I guess that calculates out to about 1375 actual watts. My system is currently set up to handle an element that is about 12" long, but I could easily get that up to 16" by getting a longer 1 1/4" NPT nipple. I'd like to keep it within that length if possible, and keep all of the parts of the heating element SS in order to minimize corrosion and rusting. I looked at brewmation.com, but the elements are 22" long. Am I better off using those and redesigning my RIMS tube, or are there other all SS options that are straight and shorter?

Thanks for your help.

The Camco Lime Life elements are stainless steel. You can get those on Amazon.com.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The base of Camco element isn't stainless and rusts.

Brewmation has ripple elements which is what I got.

I don't have rust issues with mine, but I wash it after every use, passivate it with Star San, and allow it to fully air dry. It now has a oxidation layer that protects it from rust. YMMV

1661975_10152232743908834_303172020_n.jpg

It's tough to get a good picture with a phone, but above is what mine looks like. Out of the box, the base is steel colored. After use and with proper cleaning, you build up the black oxidation layer. It has no affect on your beer.

I don't have rust issues with mine, but I wash it after every use, passivate it with Star San, and allow it to fully air dry. It now has a oxidation layer that protects it from rust. YMMV

1661975_10152232743908834_303172020_n.jpg

It's tough to get a good picture with a phone, but above is what mine looks like. Out of the box, the base is steel colored. After use and with proper cleaning, you build up the black oxidation layer. It has no affect on your beer.
this has also happened to my bk element but my hlt element is still rusting... brewmations pics are of a cameo ripple unit.... I use ace hardware 4500w ripple elements...
I doubt brewmation has them specially made with a stainless base.... more likely there is a model number already made with the stainless base and brewmation just did the research to find it and market it as such...(with a 100% markup of course)the other possibility is that some of them are hot tube elements..

You can test them with a magnet normally but brewmation claims these are 430 stainless with is mostly steel (like 87%) and it still rusts its just more rust resistant.

http://bbq.about.com/od/stainlesssteelgrills/a/aa042305a_2.htm

This link talks about the corrosion resistance and how the rough finish has much less resistance to rust over a polished finish
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=4557

In conclusion I believe brewmations elements are regular cameo units that they just polished the base to a smoother finish with a dremel to increase the resistance to rust tremendously.

If anyone else wants the same results try polishing the base with a dremel...

Back