Gingerroot yeast cake for starch conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLObrewer

Reaction score
Thought this might get answered better in the gluten free section since more of you are into malting your grains, I don't know how well this works but anyway.

I Picked up this book from the library (Sacred and Herbal healing beers), On page 118 they speak of "Chang", What's interesting to me about Chang is that they traditionally used unmalted grains and a "yeast cake" to convert the starches to sugar.

Yeast cake defined as: "Crushed and dried gingerroot and rice (or barley) flour. Moistened and formed into small cakes(half dollar size) covered with a moist cloth and allowed to ferment. The natural Fungi in the gingerroot multiply and grow, providing the Aspergillus that converts starch to sugar, and then wild saccharomyces come to eat the sugar." . . . .

Some of you have seen this book as I found in a search, Very interesting read to me, Anyone tried this ginger root yeast cake method?

Also, there seems to be alot of recipes in the book utilizing gluten free grains, etc, FYI:mug:

Back